"Layout type: "dot" not recognized" / Debian Etch [solved]

Questions, problems and discussion about compiling FreeOrion.

Moderator: Oberlus

kroddn
Static Linker

"Layout type: "dot" not recognized" / Debian Etch [solved]

#1 Post by kroddn »

Hello there,

today I encountered a bug. After compiling the SVN-Version in a Debian Etch Chroot, the application crashes with an error-Message Layout type: "dot" not recognized. This seems to be due to an old version of graphviz in Debian Etch.

This problem can be solved by getting the graphviz-dev from unstable. The version I used was 2.12-3:
add to /etc/apt/sources.list: deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free

Code: Select all

echo "deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free" >>/etc/apt/sources.list
apt-get update
apt-get source graphviz --compile
Maybe there are some errors, because the compilation does need some more stuff. Just do an "apt-get install XXX" on this missing dependencies, this works. I had to do:

apt-get install quilt gs-common tk8.4-dev pdksh libxaw7-dev libttf-dev swig libperl-dev libgd2-xpm-dev
Then install the newly built libs:

dpkg -i graphviz_2.12-3_i386.deb graphviz-dev_2.12-3_all.deb libgraphviz3_2.12-3_i386.deb libgraphviz3-dev_2.12-3_i386.deb
After installation, clean your FreeOrion project and compile again:

scons -c
scons
Using it on Debian Sarge
I am using a very exotic method for compiling and playing FreeOrion on Debian GNU/Linux 3.1 Sarge.
Because i do not want to update to Etch yet, I am using an Etch-chroot for compiling and running. Compiling works fine, but you cannot run FreeOrion out of the chroot, because you will not have access to openGL.

So i wrote a little script, which sets som LD_LIBRARY exports and runs the game in the Sarge-Enviroment:

cd `dirname $0`
export LD_PRELOAD=/chroot/sid/lib/libgcc_s.so.1:/chroot/sid/lib/libslang.so.2.0.6:/chroot/sid/lib/libnsl-2.3.6.so:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/chroot/sid/usr/lib:/chroot/sid/usr/local/lib:/chroot/sid/usr/lib/
./freeorion
This works :-)