Does freeorion run on wine on MacOS?

Questions, problems and discussion about compiling FreeOrion.

Moderator: Oberlus

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Does freeorion run on wine on MacOS?

#1 Post by Ophiuchus »

One stupid question to those mac users - does the windows version of freeorion run on MacOS?
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Re: Does freeorion run on wine on MacOS?

#2 Post by Vezzra »

No idea, I never used Wine, so I never tried to do that...

Why do you ask? With a macOS build of FO available, why would anyone want to run the Windows build on Wine on Mac...?

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#3 Post by Ophiuchus »

Vezzra wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:12 am No idea, I never used Wine, so I never tried to do that...

Why do you ask? With a macOS build of FO available, why would anyone want to run the Windows build on Wine on Mac...?
Just another way to run the game. This might come in handy that the macOS build does not work and nobody is able to fix it. Or one could test the windows build on macOS (or linux).

Mostly out of curiosity of course.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

human2
Pupating Mass

#4 Post by human2 »

This is an old thread but I thought I'd say this about Wine. I've used Macs for 22 years. I've used Wine 1 or 2 times. It's an utter nightmare, especially when graphics are involved. The only reason I used Wine was because I was absolutely desperate for an old game that was Windows only. Most of the time I just find native or web alternatives.