libicui18n.so.55 libicuuc.so.55 not found Ubuntu 18.04

Questions, problems and discussion about compiling FreeOrion.

Moderator: Oberlus

Ophiuchus
Programmer

Re: libicui18n.so.55 libicuuc.so.55 not found Ubuntu 18.04

#16 Post by Ophiuchus »

I could try to deliver the development environment as a snap, too. Not sure when though.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#17 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 3:56 pmShould be able to get sdl and other dependencies back by (re)installing freeorion-dev I guess. At least if you used apt* for removing the files. Else i think you could try to remove freeorion-dev and it would try to remove sdl, so an install afterwards should work.
I did 'apt install libsdl2-dev' and it worked, it seems, I stop getting the error re: sdl2 when running cmake.

I would also have expected that an upgrade to 18.04 would be smoother than trying to fix the libs.
The original problem was maybe that some of the software I had installed manually in 16.04 caused dependency problems (despite the message during dist-upgrade about all those packages being disabled during the process).

The rest of problems were that I lost first patience and then temper and removed what I should have not removed.

When I upgraded from 14.04 to 16.04, instead of a real upgrade I made a new partition and installed a fresh Ubuntu 16.04 on there. I should have done that here.

It should not matter that you have python2 on your system. You can point your default python to python3 (update-alternatives ?)
Ha, update-alternatives, yes, I should have done that instead of removing python2.7.

For further parody, I've managed to make this 18.04 look as a 16.04 (it seems I removed some gnome stuff). I don't like the look of either, Unity, what a joke, but at least I can log in normally.

I'm buying a new laptop and I'm going for Debian this time (last time I used it was 20 years ago, while at the College, and I couldn't make sound work, but I'm sure it can't be that bad anymore, compared to this Ubuntu stupidity).

I'm really pissed off, ignore my rants.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#18 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:12 pm I could try to deliver the development environment as a snap, too. Not sure when though.
No hurry from my part. I can still play FreeOrion from Windows, and it is not like I'm a FO developer, most of what I do can be done with notepad (++), spreadsheets and downloading default folders from github.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#19 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:20 pm
Ophiuchus wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:12 pm I could try to deliver the development environment as a snap, too. Not sure when though.
No hurry from my part. I can still play FreeOrion from Windows, and it is not like I'm a FO developer, most of what I do can be done with notepad (++), spreadsheets and downloading default folders from github.
Playing should also work with the snap. You can also have multiple versions of snap freeorion at the same time if you need that (e.g. for long game and for weekly builds besides).
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#20 Post by Ophiuchus »

Oberlus wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:17 pmI'm buying a new laptop and I'm going for Debian this time (last time I used it was 20 years ago, while at the College, and I couldn't make sound work, but I'm sure it can't be that bad anymore, compared to this Ubuntu stupidity).

I'm really pissed off, ignore my rants.
If you are going debian, you definitly should look into using snaps or flatpaks. Else you will quickly find yourself in a similar situation (wanting a newer version for a single program but having to rebaking the complete system).