Stupid, newbie, im an idiot for even asking question

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Sandsnake
Space Krill

Stupid, newbie, im an idiot for even asking question

#1 Post by Sandsnake »

First: Awesome game. Much fun, currently on turn 505 of a game because i am trying to move all the Gas Giants from their starting systems into the only star system with a red star as i am going to collapse it to form a black hole so i can make many, MANY, MANY Solar hulls... Have noticed fairly severe game lag between turns tho.....

On to what is most likely the dumbest question asked here yet.
Transformers: How, exactly, do i make them behave as planetary star lane drives? See aforementioned redecoration project....

System A, Planet A: Transformer built
System B; Planet A: Planetary beacon built
now what?

Thanks all.

Sandsnake
Space Krill

Re: Stupid, newbie, im an idiot for even asking question

#2 Post by Sandsnake »

Doh. Planet needs a population. And here i was trying to move gas giants, oh well... Upgrade to paradise planets first it is then

EDIT: Would have been REALLY good to know that BEFORE i turned the gas giants at the target system into paradise planets

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#3 Post by AndrewW »

Note as long as it is supply line connected you only need one planet at a system with a black hole to produce the solar hulls since the resources are shared between your various worlds. Certainly doesn't hurt to have more there, just not necessary either.

When you start getting up their in turns like that yup there can be some lag.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#4 Post by Vezzra »

Just in case Andrews reply wasn't clear enough: shipyards don't have a limit on the number of ships you can build there at once. So you only need one colony with the required shipyard (and shipyard upgrade) buildings to build as many solar hulls as you want there. No need to move armadas of planets to the system ;)

Sandsnake
Space Krill

#5 Post by Sandsnake »

Doh.... Oh well, so much for moving 24 Huge planets. Also realised you cannot sustain life next to a black hole unless you have some species bonus to population growth. Chato not so hot at that, tbh. Oh well, 24 next door is fine too.

So, to clarify and confirm. If I have a planet with the relevant shipyard next to the black hole, i can produce the ships anywhere at any system, or the Sum Total production can be spent at that one planet? As if it is the second one, I will need to shuttle planets back and forth to keep the populated and next to the black hole.....

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#6 Post by Vezzra »

Sandsnake wrote:Also realised you cannot sustain life next to a black hole unless you have some species bonus to population growth.
How well a species does on a particular planet does not depend on the star type (red, yellow, black hole, neutron, etc.), but solely on the planet type (terran, desert, barren, etc.). The only exception to that rule are phototrophic species, those actually do depend on the star type, the brighter the star, the higher their max pop. Black holes are of course very bad for phototrophic species.

Each species has a planet type it prefers, and where it has its highest max pop. See the explanation of the "wheel of habitability" in our quick play guide. The guide is horribly outdated, to the point where it's almost useless because so much of the info given their isn't correct anymore, but the explanation of the wheel of habitability still applies.
So, to clarify and confirm. If I have a planet with the relevant shipyard next to the black hole, i can produce the ships anywhere at any system, or the Sum Total production can be spent at that one planet?
If you have a planet with the required shipyard and shipyard upgrade buildings in a black hole system, then you can spend your entire production at that planet to churn out as much ships as you can. There is no limit to the number of ships one shipyard can produce simultaneously. The only limit is your production capacity. You do not need to build extra shipyards to be able to produce more ships. But you can only built ships at planets that have a shipyard.

The only reasons to build shipyards in different locations (besides location requirements like black holes to be able to produce solar hulls, or asteroid belts to produce asteroid hulls) is to a) have backups in case a shipyard colony gets conquered by the enemy and b) to have shipyards nearer to the front lines once your empire gets larger, so your newly built ships can be deployed faster. You do not build additional shipyards because you want to be able to produce more ships. FreeOrion works differently in that regard than most other 4X space games.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Vezzra wrote:The only reasons to build shipyards in different locations (besides location requirements like black holes to be able to produce solar hulls, or asteroid belts to produce asteroid hulls) ...
Or to determine the species crewing the ship?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#8 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Vezzra wrote:The only reasons to build shipyards in different locations (besides location requirements like black holes to be able to produce solar hulls, or asteroid belts to produce asteroid hulls) ...
Or to determine the species crewing the ship?
Yes, of course :)

Although that can maybe also subsumed into the "location requirement" category (in a very broad sense). You want ships crewed with a specific species, you have to build them at a location that has that species. ;)

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#9 Post by AndrewW »

Vezzra wrote:You do not need to build extra shipyards to be able to produce more ships. But you can only built ships at planets that have a shipyard.
Star General would also be an exception. Just need Space Docks to build at a particular location, not needed resource wise. Other then the small possibility of not having enough space around the Space Dock to place all the ships you want (never run into that myself).