Will be gone for a while...

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

Will be gone for a while...

#1 Post by Vezzra »

Bad news: my Mac just died. That means I will be without my primary computer until I manage to get the thing repaired or I get a new one. I cannot tell how long that will take (because I have to try the repair route first, a new one will seriously hurt my budget), and I most likely won't be able to participate in All Things FreeOrion during this time. My other (ancient) computers that are still alive aren't up to FO stuff at all (I shouldn't even connect them to the internet), and I'll be busy anyway - I needed that computer for my job, not having it complicates a lot of things, so getting this situation solved ASAP will be top priority (and hobbies will put on the backburner).

That means, no test builds until further notice, even my forum presence will be reduced to opportunities when I have access to a computer at a moment when I've a bit spare time. So, don't worry if I kind of vanish off the radar and only sporadically show up for a while. Nothing happened to me, I just need some time to recover from the hardware breakdown. :wink:

Regarding test builds: of course, if someone feels like it, he is certainly welcome to provide test builds until I'm back :D

AndrewW
Juggernaut

Re: Will be gone for a while...

#2 Post by AndrewW »

Sorry to hear that, hope you are able to get that sorted out soon (without a high repair bill).

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#3 Post by Dilvish »

Yeah, good luck getting it sorted without too much headache.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#4 Post by Ouaz »

Wow, bad news.

Well, take it on the bright side: at least, it's not a data crash & loss. :D
I release every updated file under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#5 Post by Vezzra »

Good news: I've got my Mac repaired, and as the warranty was still valid, I didn't have to pay anything. So, I'm back in the business, expect new test builds coming Monday :D
Ouaz wrote:Well, take it on the bright side: at least, it's not a data crash & loss. :D
Actually, that wouldn't have been so bad, as I'm quite paranoid when it comes to backups. A hard disc crash is something I can recover from very easily. 8)

The Silent One
Graphics

#6 Post by The Silent One »

Well, my mac just died too :( ...Black screen of death...
Gonna take it to repair, it should be the graphics card, I hope it won't take too long to have it replaced.
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#7 Post by Vezzra »

The Silent One wrote:Well, my mac just died too :( ...Black screen of death...
Gonna take it to repair, it should be the graphics card, I hope it won't take too long to have it replaced.
If your warranty has already expired, you might still get your Mac repaired without costs, in case your Mac qualifies:

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/

The Silent One
Graphics

#8 Post by The Silent One »

I'll try to get the ATI 6790m replaced with a GTX780m.
Don't think apple will pay for that ;)
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

The Silent One
Graphics

#9 Post by The Silent One »

Vezzra wrote:If your warranty has already expired, you might still get your Mac repaired without costs, in case your Mac qualifies:
https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/
Thanks for the hint though. I have a mid-2011 imac that is known for having graphic card issues, and there has been a replacement program, but it expired for me in 2015.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#10 Post by Vezzra »

The Silent One wrote:Thanks for the hint though.
You're welcome :D
I have a mid-2011 imac that is known for having graphic card issues, and there has been a replacement program, but it expired for me in 2015.
Well, that sucks :(

OTOH, like you said, if you're using this opportunity to upgrade your graphics card, that wouldn't have been covered by the replacement program anyway.

On a side note: I thought you're on Windows...?

The Silent One
Graphics

#11 Post by The Silent One »

Vezzra wrote:On a side note: I thought you're on Windows...?
Correct, I have Windows "mono", it can be installed instead of OSX on the iMacs before 2012 without too much trouble.

( Don't know if it still works for the newer models, but although the retina imacs look awesome, I wouldn't be getting one anyway; soldering gpu+cpu to the board: "Thou shalt by a new computer all the time!" Tsk tsk... *shakes head* ... but that's a different matter :) )

The Silent One
Graphics

#12 Post by The Silent One »

My computer is fixed, back in business :)

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#13 Post by Vezzra »

Good to hear! :D

The Silent One
Graphics

#14 Post by The Silent One »

And it's defect again... :shock:
On top of which, I'll be on vacation the next two weeks and likely won't have internet access. So I'll be absent for that time.
Also, I should mention that I have a very important exam coming up in June, so I'll have to devote most of my time to learning. I'm eager to work on the influence design and implementation, and I'll participate in the discussion as much I can, but before June I won't be able to accomplish much. :(

The Silent One
Graphics

#15 Post by The Silent One »

FYI, before it broke down I uploaded a new influence-test branch that is compatible with the recent scripting directory changes:
https://github.com/TheSilentOne1/freeor ... e-test-new