No test builds today, can't access sourceforge

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

No test builds today, can't access sourceforge

#1 Post by Vezzra »

Apparently there are some problems on sourceforge, I can't open a FTP connection, hence I'm unable to upload todays test builds.

Will try again tomorrow.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: No test builds today, can't access sourceforge

#2 Post by Dilvish »

Vezzra wrote:Apparently there are some problems on sourceforge, I can't open a FTP connection, hence I'm unable to upload todays test builds.

Will try again tomorrow.
Ghosts of troubles past (or at least we had hoped past). You had looked some into doing the whole thing on GitHub and it was looking pretty decent, wasn't it?
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#3 Post by Vezzra »

Dilvish wrote:You had looked some into doing the whole thing on GitHub and it was looking pretty decent, wasn't it?
Yeah, but this feature on github is totally geared toward releases. For weekly test builds like ours it's not really usable.

Well, whatever, I guess it's time to look for an alternative. Some additional service where we can offer our downloads, so we have a bit of redundancy... any ideas?

Dilvish

#4 Post by Dilvish »

Vezzra wrote:Well, whatever, I guess it's time to look for an alternative. Some additional service where we can offer our downloads, so we have a bit of redundancy... any ideas?
Oh, I don't know that keeping impeccable timing on the weekly builds really merits tracking down another hosting provider. I was thinking that the GitHub thing might work for the weeklies also, but I just hadn't looked at it really. I suggest we keep trundling along with the weeklies at Sourceforge unless it gets really bad.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#5 Post by Vezzra »

Most of the time sure, we can just sit it out. But such an outage happening in the midst of getting a new release out is more than just annoying. Right now it would be important to get the new test builds up, to get as much bug hunting and uncovering of issues done as possible before RC1.

Anyway, update: still can't reach sourceforge. Upload services apparently still down, so new test builds postponed again...

adrian_broher
Programmer

#6 Post by adrian_broher »

Vezzra wrote:Anyway, update: still can't reach sourceforge. Upload services apparently still down, so new test builds postponed again...
FYI: I tried to access the SVN repository for looking up stuff on the 18/07/2015 and it was already unavailable there.
Resident code gremlin
Attached patches are released under GPL 2.0 or later.
Git author: Marcel Metz

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#7 Post by Vezzra »

adrian_broher wrote:FYI: I tried to access the SVN repository for looking up stuff on the 18/07/2015 and it was already unavailable there.
Yep, apparently there has been a major crash on July 16th, and they are still working on recovering from that. Last update has been yesterday, repos and uploads not operational yet.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#8 Post by Vezzra »

Update: uploads still don't work at SF. I really hope they get that fixed at least until Monday...

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#9 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Vezzra wrote:Update: uploads still don't work at SF. I really hope they get that fixed at least until Monday...
*by* Monday. (One of my German-English pet peeve errors...)

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#10 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Vezzra wrote:Update: uploads still don't work at SF. I really hope they get that fixed at least until Monday...
*by* Monday. (One of my German-English pet peeve errors...)
Argh, right of course. My former English teacher would have scolded me for that... :lol:

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#11 Post by Vezzra »

Update: upload services still down. I'm starting to have serious doubts that we can count on them being back up by Monday. However, so close to our first RC builds this is not good at all.

Any suggestions how we shall proceed? Wait and sit it out, or look for an additional/alternative file hosting service?

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#12 Post by MatGB »

I think given we've abandoned Sourceforge for everything else, and it's this flaky, we ought to look into alternatives and scrap relying ont he place completely. The stats are nice, but it's just so unreliable that it's silly.

Having said that, bandwidth still costs and I should imagine it won't be cheap to self host, and it'd be nice to maintain the backups of previous test versions, so something like Dropbox with limited storage space isn't really viable. If I'm reading it right, you can upload stuff to GitHub but it's not a brilliant solution due to restrictions I didn't understand.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#13 Post by Geoff the Medio »

MatGB wrote:If I'm reading it right, you can upload stuff to GitHub but it's not a brilliant solution due to restrictions I didn't understand.
Vezzra, could you re-summarize what are the problems with using github for frequent test builds or release candidates?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#14 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Vezzra, could you re-summarize what are the problems with using github for frequent test builds or release candidates?
I'll try.

Basically, what github offers is not a space where you can upload via FTP and manage files in a folder structure like the FRS feature on sourceforge works. Instead, it generates a page with a list of all releases of a project based on the tags in the repo, I guess it looks for the "vX.Y.Z" or similar patterns in the tag names.

Here is this page/list for our repo. As you can see, all our releases are listed there, based on the tags in our repo. We can upload and attach binaries to these release tags, write some comments that would get displayed beside the tag etc.

Obviously, this feature is meant to provide downloads for releases. There is no folder structure, just the flat list. To be able to offer builds for download, we'd have to create a corresponding tag, and thereby creating an entry in this list. I guess it's easy to see where that will lead if we use that for our test builds - a big cluttered list spawning many pages, where the entries for the stable releases would be quickly drowned out and pushed back by the more recent entries of the newer test builds.

Even using it just for RC and final release builds will already inflate that list considerably. As we usually remove the RC builds once we declare the latest RC to be the final release, we can probably use it at least for those. But not for weekly test builds.

Dilvish

#15 Post by Dilvish »

Vezzra wrote:To be able to offer builds for download, we'd have to create a corresponding tag, and thereby creating an entry in this list. I guess it's easy to see where that will lead if we use that for our test builds - a big cluttered list spawning many pages, where the entries for the stable releases would be quickly drowned out and pushed back by the more recent entries of the newer test builds.
To keep the releases nicely organized, we could perhaps make a "freeorion-releases" repo, to which we only transfer the final release branches, and in which we delete any other tags that sneak in along with them? We could then note that repo in our main repo README or somesuch.