No test builds today, can't access sourceforge

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: No test builds today, can't access sourceforge

#16 Post by MatGB »

Hmm, playing with stuff on my fork:
https://github.com/MatGB/freeorion/releases

You can delete releases. Plus you can mark things as pre-release.

So how about each weekly gets tagged 'weekly' and gets the uploads tagged pre-release. If and when we want to tidy up the releases page (probably keeping a small number of the binaries in the main repo with a backup somewhere) then simply delete that specific release and it all goes away. I'm sure we can refine it as we go, but it's worth trying, especially for this week given SF is being useless.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

em3
Vacuum Dragon

#17 Post by em3 »

Dilvish wrote:To keep the releases nicely organized, we could perhaps make a "freeorion-releases" repo, to which we only transfer the final release branches, and in which we delete any other tags that sneak in along with them? We could then note that repo in our main repo README or somesuch.
Or, alternatively, make a "freorion-weekly" repo, to keep stable releases in the main repository.
https://github.com/mmoderau
[...] for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. - Randall Munroe, title text to xkcd #556

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#18 Post by Vezzra »

Update: I've already been able to access sourceforges FRS normally again yesterday, could even upload a file. Today I can't access the project directory anymore, although I'm still able to log in via FTP. So things are still, well, flaky.

Concerning the various suggestions: While all of them will probably work, none of them sound very appealing to me, TBH. Making repo forks just to be able to separate test builds and releases isn't exactly a clean solution. Keeping only a very few current test builds so the stable releases aren't pushed from the first page also isn't ideal. None of that can compare with having a file hosting service like SF offers with FRS.

That said, as an immediately available stop-gap solution for the RC and pre-RC test builds it's probably sufficient. If SF doesn't get it's FRS service up and running in time, I'll fall back on that for the time being.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#19 Post by Vezzra »

Update: Can access SF now, can connect via FTP and even upload files (although it's still very erratic), however, the uploaded files don't show up on the download page. So I fell back on the github release feature.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#20 Post by Dilvish »

Vezzra wrote:Update: Can access SF now, can connect via FTP and even upload files (although it's still very erratic), however, the uploaded files don't show up on the download page. So I fell back on the github release feature.
Yes, it's a bit odd. The main folder does show that the Test folder was last modified at 18:01 UTC 2015-7-27, but I can't find any sign of that actually within the Test folder. Perhaps some part of their update process is running terribly slow-- maybe they'll show up in a day or two. :D
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#21 Post by Vezzra »

Dilvish wrote:maybe they'll show up in a day or two. :D
Apparently they did... :D

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#22 Post by Vezzra »

Update: According to the SF blog, full service restoration has been completed on July 31st. However, when I upload files, it still takes ages until they show up on the download pages, so I continue to use links to the github release in my test build announcement posts and tweets.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#23 Post by Vezzra »

Update: SF seems to operate normally again, finally.