Master of Orion 2

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Wulfston
Space Floater

Master of Orion 2

#1 Post by Wulfston »

So I downloaded Master of Orion 2 from emuparadise since it is now listed as 'abandon ware'.

I'm posting this in the hopes that other people still actually have the game and have done this as well. Even though the game has no sounds it plays well except for a couple of bugs that seem to crop up randomly. Anyone else have this problem? The game is running from the auto-MSDOS screen that pops up when you play older games.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

Re: Master of Orion 2

#2 Post by AndrewW »

Should be in Off Topic...

But anyways, runs fine here using DosBox in Linux, sound and all.

In my case copied the files from the original CDROM and applied the 1.31 patch.

Wulfston
Space Floater

#3 Post by Wulfston »

Sorry about posting in the wrong board.

The patch seems to have fixed whatever was causing it to crash. Thx Andrew.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#4 Post by AndrewW »

Wulfston wrote:The patch seems to have fixed whatever was causing it to crash. Thx Andrew.
Glad to hear it's working ok for you.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#5 Post by Tyreth »

Not sure that it counts as abandonware: http://www.gog.com/game/master_of_orion_1_2

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by MatGB »

Tyreth wrote:Not sure that it counts as abandonware: http://www.gog.com/game/master_of_orion_1_2
You live! Cool.

But yeah, they have Linux versions on Gog as well, I DLd them yesterday but haven't tried getting them working yet.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#7 Post by AndrewW »

MatGB wrote:But yeah, they have Linux versions on Gog as well, I DLd them yesterday but haven't tried getting them working yet.
Well, not really Linux version. I imagine they are doing the same thing I do and running them using DosBox.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#8 Post by MatGB »

Yup, but it came preloaded, gave it a go earlier. For, well, me, it's brilliant, I can play Windows games I'd already paid for without learning anything particularly new and they're "guaranteed to work", which is good. I mean, I will learn how to do stuff with Wine and DosBox at some point but right now I'm still in point and click/how do I get it to do that mode with Linux so easy = good.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.