re-colonize?

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

ghealy
Space Kraken

re-colonize?

#1 Post by ghealy »

Am a total newbie to FreeOrion. Have watched hours of Youtube videos as well as reading the Quick guide. I have figured out hwo to do most stuff in teh early stages of the game. But one status message throws me -- planet such and such is ready for re-colonization. I can not find any reference to this in anything I've watched or read. Can anyone clue me in?

Also Is there a Fleet list? It woudl be nice to be able to see a list of all teh ships indicating where they are and their status. I've not be able to discover one if there is.

Thanks for your patience with a new guy. And thanks also for a great game.

- Gene

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: re-colonize?

#2 Post by Dilvish »

ghealy wrote:Am a total newbie to FreeOrion. Have watched hours of Youtube videos as well as reading the Quick guide. I have figured out hwo to do most stuff in teh early stages of the game. But one status message throws me -- planet such and such is ready for re-colonization. I can not find any reference to this in anything I've watched or read. Can anyone clue me in?
A colony must have at least population 3 before it can serve as a source for colonizing other planets; that is what that sitrep is referring to.
Also Is there a Fleet list? It woudl be nice to be able to see a list of all teh ships indicating where they are and their status. I've not be able to discover one if there is.
If you go to Pedia -> [Game]-Empires -> Your_Empire then that will include a fleet list.
And thanks also for a great game.
Glad you like it, thanks for letting us know.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by MatGB »

Aha, um, yeah, you're playing with the more recent test versions, which has a completely new colonising mechanic not covered in the quickstart guide (someone remind me to update that when we've got a release candidate for 0.4.5 please?). I have no idea who makes the YouTube videos, never even watched them, probably ought to get some more recent/up to date ones done as well.

You can still launch colony ships and land them on suitable planets, but you can also place outposts then use a building to create a colony in place, the colony building takes longer to build the further it is away from a colony of size three and happiness 5 of the same species.

For fleet list, you can also go into the Objects menu and use a filter, uncheck planets and instead check fleets, or ships, or both. Filter it by just your stuff ("owner empire") and there you go.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

ghealy
Space Kraken

#4 Post by ghealy »

Many thanks to both Dilvish and MatGB or their very helpful responses. I had actually figured out that the message meant that you could build colony ships & bases on that planet as it had reach the min require population.

But thanks again for the clarification. And thanks also MatGB about suggesting to use the Object list filter to ships. Will give it a try. With the ships running out of fuel as the known galaxy expands, it is sometimes difficult to know where all your ships are and whether they have refueled enough to move again.

- Gene

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by MatGB »

There is a keyboard shortcut that will take you through all inactive fleets, but it's not defined so you need to go into Options and set something, I normally set it to alt+whatever the active key is (which requires ctrl), but I normally forget to do this when I reinstall the game.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

ghealy
Space Kraken

#6 Post by ghealy »

Thanks MatGB. Will give that a try.

- Gene