"Unknown" malus

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

codekiddy
Space Floater

"Unknown" malus

#1 Post by codekiddy »

there are negative maluses in game described as "unknown".
for example -3 target research or -3 population maximum...
I have some feeling that am I missing the point, is there a way to counter these maluses?

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: "Unknown" malus

#2 Post by Dilvish »

The server imposes maluses / grants bonuses based on its perfect knowledge of circumstances. Typically you (your client) will also be aware of the circumstances that affect you, but sometimes not, and in that case your client attributes the effect to "Unknown".
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

codekiddy
Space Floater

#3 Post by codekiddy »

Dilvish wrote:The server imposes maluses / grants bonuses based on its perfect knowledge of circumstances. Typically you (your client) will also be aware of the circumstances that affect you, but sometimes not, and in that case your client attributes the effect to "Unknown".
Hi Dilvish, thank you for input but I'm not sure if I understood what "The server imposes maluses / bonuses" means..
does that mean that game is based on some kind of server-client and that unknown maluses are random?
or maybe my question is not clear, I'm referring to "unknown" description when hovering a mouse over ie. planet population count or industry output of the planet.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

There is randomness in the game, but it is not relevant to this issue. The client and server are separate processes, and the server only sends info to the player clients that the player's empire knows about according to the game's visibility rules. The tooltip meter accounting lists is exactly what Dilvish is describing.

codekiddy
Space Floater

#5 Post by codekiddy »

Geoff the Medio wrote:the server only sends info to the player clients that the player's empire knows about according to the game's visibility rules.
oh ok, I see now...
I don't have my late game save so I'm 100% certain, but, in fact it was late game and I had 200 detection strength, and still there were unknown maluses present on my own planets, this is what confuses me. but I don't have the save file anymore so I can't check..

are you guys saying that stealth is the only reason for "unknown" malus present on own planet? or is it plain random stuff?

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by MatGB »

There is a different reason.

The client works out production and research from the population displaying for the planet, the server works it out from the actual population of the planet. For some reason the displayed population by the client is frequently a turn ahead of the actual value, the server knows the actual value and insists that's the stat.

Note that the malus will disappear on planets that are at maximum population. It's one of those minor things I keep meaning to mention but always forget. Basically, the client is frequently displaying too high a value, but what it is displaying is what you will get next turn in most circumstances (it does the reverse i there's a population fall, eg if you turn off a growth focus or similar).
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.