system defense?

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

codekiddy
Space Floater

system defense?

#1 Post by codekiddy »

Hi guys, can you please explain how planet defense works...
have you change how system defense works in latest versions? I noticed enemy troopers being killed by my planet defense, so I wonder how this mechanic works...

1. assuming I don't have "system defense mines" tech and assuming defense of a planet is 10, then defense obviously damages enemy ships when enemy ship bombards or invades a planet? is there any other case when defense attacks enemy ships?

2. if defenses are reduced to zero, what damage exactly will happen if a ship continues bombing a system?

3. I assume planet shields are to reduce damage dealt to system? is that true?

thank you so much!

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: system defense?

#2 Post by Dilvish »

codekiddy wrote:Hi guys, can you please explain how planet defense works...
have you change how system defense works in latest versions? I noticed enemy troopers being killed by my planet defense, so I wonder how this mechanic works...1. assuming I don't have "system defense mines" tech and assuming defense of a planet is 10, then defense obviously damages enemy ships when enemy ship bombards or invades a planet? is there any other case when defense attacks enemy ships?
Planet defenses only get activated if there is a battle, which in turn can only be currently triggered by an aggressive ship in the system; the AI leaves troopers passive so they won't by themselves trigger defenses. (But if you have planetary shields the troopers won't be able to invade until/unless an armed aggressive ship comes in and blasts down the shields). If the troopers popped into a battle situation before planet defenses were all gone (one of the many areas the AI needs a bit more work), then planet defenses would be active and the troopers could get blasted by the planet in the crossfire.
2. if defenses are reduced to zero, what damage exactly will happen if a ship continues bombing a system?
Currently, damage is applied to planets in the following order: Shields, Defenses, Infrastructure. So a planet's defenses might be gone but it could still have a good chunk of infrastructure (which with the right defense techs would boost the defense regen) and so the next turn that infrastructure could be blasted down more. Even when it's all gone you'll normally still get combat messages essentially from the blockading ship blasting down each turn's regen.
3. I assume planet shields are to reduce damage dealt to system? is that true?
To the planet, yes, see the above answer, and also they block troopers from invading. Also, to clarify, unlike ship shields (which currently work as DamageReduction against all attacks and don't get depleted), planetary shields get depleted by damage & can be thought of as essentially another type of structural point.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

codekiddy
Space Floater

Re: system defense?

#3 Post by codekiddy »

thanks so much!, well explained :D