Finding answers to questions?

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

codekiddy
Space Floater

Finding answers to questions?

#1 Post by codekiddy »

Hello, I'm newcomer just downloaded the game and have tons of question, what is the best way to learn the game?
and btw what is 'infrastructure' of a ship?
I went to wikia and was unable to find an answer to infrastructure :/

thank you!

and yes, I like the game very much, and the fact it's open source makes that fact even better :D

EDIT:
by watching few youtube tutorials I managed to get into the game, and also there is a 'pedia' in the game which is also very useful.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Finding answers to questions?

#2 Post by Dilvish »

codekiddy wrote:Hello, I'm newcomer just downloaded the game and have tons of question, what is the best way to learn the game?
I'm glad the Pedia info and YouTube tutorials were enough to get you going. Here is a link to our QuickPlay guide-- it is at least partially updated for the most recent Release (0.4.4); I'm not sure if it was 100% updated or not, but it should still be a good addition to the info you've found already.

Geoff, Vezzra, now that Matt has the QuickPlay guide fairly well up-to-date, it's seeming to me it would be good to include a version of it as part of the actual FO package (accessible as intro.html in the top directory with associated files in a subdirectory).

and btw what is 'infrastructure' of a ship?
Ship infrastructure currently has no role. Planet infrastructure currently has a role in advanced Planetary Defense regen techs.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

codekiddy
Space Floater

#3 Post by codekiddy »

thanks a lot! that link will help even more :)

and sorry, I meant infrastructure of a planet, not ship lol.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by MatGB »

Just to be clear, I got about half way down the page updating the quick play guide, but lots of the pictures are out of date (screenshots needed get Geoff has to upload them), and I'm thinking it actually needs splitting up, at the moment it's a single page attempt tod escribe virtually everything, most of which is way beyond the needs of a quickstart guide. The top half is mostly fine, with the exception of screenshots (the galaxy map at start is the most egregious, and many of them are still two focus shots including food, etc).

But a combination of other commitments, illness and playing other games has eaten my time up, the card game I'm running support for is 90% of my documentation writing time currently and will be for the foreseeable I suspect.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

codekiddy
Space Floater

#5 Post by codekiddy »

Thank you MatGB! the site helped me clear some doubts which can't be found in other resources (at least it looks so to me)
guys I hope I don't ask to much questions, but I notice on the galaxy map the supply lines are changing their shape and color...
according to pedia I understand what supply lines do, but these lines sometimes get more thicker and sometimes they are "surrounded" by color other than my empire's faction color. I wonder what that means exactly?

by my understanding the most thin lines are actually supply lines to refuel the ships and to share industry and food, and what do other shapes mean? (the fat ones and the thick ones surrounded by lighter color)

thank you so much!

Dilvish

#6 Post by Dilvish »

MatGB wrote:Just to be clear, ...
Fair enough Matt, sounds like that card game situation has offered some perks we can't come near to matching :lol: Perhaps someone else will be motivated to pick up where you left off and edit it up as a self-contained set of html docs & associated pngs. I still kind of think that even as it stands (perhaps plus a caveat at the top) it would still be good to include as part of the distributed package.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Dilvish

Supply Lane Coloring

#7 Post by Dilvish »

codekiddy wrote:...I notice on the galaxy map the supply lines are changing their shape and color... according to pedia I understand what supply lines do, but these lines sometimes get more thicker and sometimes they are "surrounded" by color other than my empire's faction color. I wonder what that means exactly?
The fat lines are just to help visualize the core of your empire, they represent all the shortest path supply connections between systems that actually produce PP or RP for you. When you have advanced supply techs your available supply lines sort of make a cloud that can extend quite a bit from your planets and can muddy the picture a bit. The color used for the 'fat' portion of those supply lines will be the same as your empire color when you're not wasting any PP, but if there is PP getting wasted then that fat outer colored portion gets swapped to a complement color; the center will stay the color of your empire. Wastage can be because you just don't have enough in your production line, or it could be that part of your empire got separated off by an enemy blockade-- which should be easier to identify by looking for where the far monochrome supply lines meet the fat dual-colored supply lines.
Last edited by Dilvish on Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

codekiddy
Space Floater

#8 Post by codekiddy »

oh OK, thanks mate for help! :D