Feature Request: Game Type

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Eadword
Space Krill

Feature Request: Game Type

#1 Post by Eadword »

I am currently using version 0.4.4+ (SVN 7751) for Windows and I have noticed that at about turn 200, there is death by Black Kraken. They start small, and they multiply. After the first sighting of them, it is all over if you where not specifically building up the entire time to go against them. I am not sure if this was just for testing, but I think that there should be a setting when creating a new game that asks something like

Endgame After (number of turns)

and uses the same input as "Systems," offer 0 as a way to disable it. I often play with a friend and it feels odd that the main objective right now becomes, survive the monsters, not kill each other. And if we were fighting each other, it is questionable whether either one of us will stand a chance against them.

I therefor believe that it would be best to offer it as an option, that way if the game is not over in say 300 turns, then it is fight these monsters and die.

-- OR--

If this is supposed to be the winning condition, you must defeat the monsters, create an option for game type/winning condition.

Monster (about surviving the waves of monsters, maybe allow other victories like science)
Conquest (about conquering by any means, this includes science and other winning conditions that might be added)
Total Destruction (disable science victory for this one, it is all about destroy other empires)

I personally prefer the second option because it offers more possibilities in the future, but either way, the Black Kraken killing everyone when it was about who defeats who first really takes the fun out of it.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Feature Request: Game Type

#2 Post by Dilvish »

Different victory types is expected a bit farther down the road. Sooner then that, we'll probably have those Black Kracken delayed on settings with less aggressive AIs. In the meantime, if you play with monsters set to None, then the experimentor outpost, which itself generates the Black Kracken, will not get spawned to begin with. Alternatively, the player acting as host can edit their default/space_monster_spawn_fleets.txt file to disable the entry for SM_EXP_OUTPOST -- I think that setting the spawnlimit to zero should do the trick.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Eadword
Space Krill

#3 Post by Eadword »

Thank you, that did it.

mem359
Dyson Forest

#4 Post by mem359 »

The other setting to play with in the space_monster_spawn_fleets.txt file is the "Not WithinStarlaneJumps" value.

In my case, I *wanted* to have Experimentors around. But even after adjusting the spawn rate, sometimes the galaxy wasn't large enough to have a valid system far enough away from any of the (AI) players. So I lowered that value, and now I get them every time.

In the case of not wanting Experimentors, increase that number by a bit (or a lot) to guarantee that the program will not find a valid system to place the Experimentors.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by MatGB »

mem359 wrote:The other setting to play with in the space_monster_spawn_fleets.txt file is the "Not WithinStarlaneJumps" value.

In my case, I *wanted* to have Experimentors around. But even after adjusting the spawn rate, sometimes the galaxy wasn't large enough to have a valid system far enough away from any of the (AI) players. So I lowered that value, and now I get them every time.
Not within jumps 4, spawn limit 4, low starlanes.

Fun fun.

You have to do it on something like Elliptical, because otherwise you can end up cut off from the rest of the galaxy a bit too often...
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.