Donations

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

Donations

#1 Post by Tyreth »

I've added a donations link to the main menu on the front page, so that if you want to help FreeOrion out in that way, you can. Anything we receive will be used for hosting payments foremost, and later on any other needs we may grow into - new hardware (server), software (art), etc.

Thanks

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#2 Post by Aquitaine »

Just FYI, in case it's not apparent from Tyreth's post:

Due to our hosting requirements (ya'll are a talky lot), we have to pay every month for commercial hosting. These costs will only go up as FreeOrion evolves. As we speak, poor, pitiable Miu and tzlaine are hard at work, MAKING THE GAME FOR YOU, where they live, outside, in a Siberian Yurt.

These costs are currently being borne by members of the dev team. Please, the next time you go to buy cigarettes or a six pack, think of poor, shivering tzlaine and Miu, and their yurt.

Sincerely,
Aqui "think of the children" taine
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

noelte
Juggernaut

#3 Post by noelte »

Hey, i already feel pity for poor tzlaine ;-) and miu too.

What are the monthly costs by now?

I really dislike using paypal. If you could send me a international bank account information (IBAN and BIC) ....

Ronald.
Press any key to continue or any other key to cancel.
Can COWs fly?

Ellestar
Space Squid

#4 Post by Ellestar »

Aquitaine wrote:As we speak, poor, pitiable Miu and tzlaine are hard at work, MAKING THE GAME FOR YOU, where they live, outside, in a Siberian Yurt.
By the way, these b*****... I mean, these bad people in PayPal still don't work with Siberia - just like with any other part of a Russian Federation.

Moriarty
Dyson Forest
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

#5 Post by Moriarty »

I always thought Yurts were Mongolian.

But I doubt the living conditions in a mongolian Yurt are going to be much better than a Siberian one. The locals speak Mongolian rather than Russian. ;)

Manilla Moxy
Space Floater

Mongolia

#6 Post by Manilla Moxy »

Not quite - I saw the movie "RollerBall" and in that movie, all Mongolians speak Cantonese.

So it must be true.
It's cool man!

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

Rollerball

#7 Post by guiguibaah »

... and those in Kazakstan speak Turkish.

Yeah that was a weird movie.

BTW: for Paypal, do the donations have to be in a certain currency? I haven't used it very extensively (last time was once and it was over 5 eyars ago).
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

Re: Rollerball

#8 Post by Tyreth »

guiguibaah wrote: BTW: for Paypal, do the donations have to be in a certain currency? I haven't used it very extensively (last time was once and it was over 5 eyars ago).
Check it out. But from a glance it looks like it accepts: US, Canadian, Euros, Pounds Sterling, and Yen.

Prokonsul Piotrus
Space Kraken

#9 Post by Prokonsul Piotrus »

Down with PayPal. Even through Poland and several other countries joined EU in May, they still don't bother to let us use it. Their loss, I say. Bank transfers are easy and there is no provision :)

mithro
Space Floater

#10 Post by mithro »

Hello,

I was wondering if you would like some free hosting? I currenly run a dedicated server for a few other OSS projects (http://www.thousandparsec.net). It is extremly underused and is idle 99.9% of the time, however since I'm paying for it I'm happy to put it to good use, specially with a project I'm very intrested in.

The server is based in the USA in a secure multihomed datacenter. It is a Athlon 2000 with 256mb of ram and 40gig HD. Last year I had about 25 minutes down time in total.

I would be happy to provide shell access and help setup phpbb and media wiki if you wanted. I can also host CVS, SVN or any other applications (including ?FreeOrion servers?).

Only thing I would request in return was a link from your website to mine (I would be happy to do the same in return).

I understand if you don't want to accept hosting with an unknown person.

Hope all goes well.
---
http://www.thousandparsec.net/ - A journey of a thousand parsec starts with a single step