FreeOrion V0.2 is looking good!!!

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

leiavoia
Space Kraken

#31 Post by leiavoia »

No it's not innefficient, it's just that it is (probably) set up for frame-independent movement and animation. The program will draw as many frames as possible by your computer. That means that your CPU should be throttled all the way up to 100% at all times. If your CPU can't handle that, i blame your cooling system, not the program! This is common for many games with this type of game loop.

It should be noted that for some games like TBS games with mostly static screen content, another approach is to only redraw when required. That can reduce cpu load by a huge amount.

All games can also cap frame rates and sleep() when the computer is capable of running faster than it needs to to produce a decent look and feel.

Rob
Space Floater

#32 Post by Rob »

leiavoia wrote: All games can also cap frame rates and sleep() when the computer is capable of running faster than it needs to to produce a decent look and feel.
Please integrate such things. It is a waste of CPU resources to run with full power all the time. I dont need 300 frames per second. I use to play TBS games and my CPU is not used to be at 100% all the time. I have a passive cooling, cause it is totaly silent, I hate the neverending sound of the fan... and I will not buy a water cooling just to play Free Orion...

And I belive I am not the only one with problems of this kind. Some will use it with lap tops and they will have the Energy level of their accumulators going down rapidly, cause CPU is at 100% all the time.
Wer die Welt gezielt verändern will, muss sie zuerst einmal verstehen!
One of your german brothers: http://www.fatal-universe.de

leiavoia
Space Kraken

#33 Post by leiavoia »

Rob, normally i would balk at such a demand, but given the type of game, i would agree with you. A 60fps or even a 30fps cap would be plenty fine. But i'm not the one doing development.

Perhaps it could be throttled during combat and animation sequences?

Rob
Space Floater

#34 Post by Rob »

A speed cap? It would be very nice. Hope this is not going to be hard to implement...
I like the game. It looks fine. Interface is also fine. So I dont want to miss it...

Your brother from Fatal Universe

noelte
Juggernaut

#35 Post by noelte »

there is aready a speed cap set to 60FPS. We could easyly make it available to be set pe rcommand line or config file. To be honest it's not the whole story, but it's an beginning.
Press any key to continue or any other key to cancel.
Can COWs fly?

Rob
Space Floater

#36 Post by Rob »

Excellent!

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

please

#37 Post by guiguibaah »

... Just don't make it as bloated and buggy as Civ3 play-the-world multiplayer is / was. Boy did I get shystered twice by infogrames.
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Marijn
Space Squid

#38 Post by Marijn »

Is anything ever animated on the screen in FO? If not, there no reason to do 'frames per second' at all, just redraw when you get new input. If there is, offer an option to turn off the animations. I think that a turn based game like this should run properly on anything over 100 mhz (maybe without all the graphical niceties). Of course, performance isn't too much of an issue in such an early state, but it should be kept in mind.

miu
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#39 Post by miu »

Marjin: By how it is planned: Anything animated on screen? Yes - very much, with lots of transparencies and realtime 3D. So I hope you have decent graph-card :)
Difference between a man and a gentleman is that a man does what he wants, a gentleman does what he should. - Albert Camus

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#40 Post by utilae »

Marijn wrote:Is anything ever animated on the screen in FO? If not, there no reason to do 'frames per second'
Capping the frames per second also prevents the game from running at lightning speed (things move tooo fast to control or even see) on fast computers, which would make the game unplayable.

noelte
Juggernaut

#41 Post by noelte »

utilae wrote:Capping the frames per second also prevents the game from running at lightning speed (things move tooo fast to control or even see) on fast computers, which would make the game unplayable.
No. FPS has no effect on speed.
Press any key to continue or any other key to cancel.
Can COWs fly?

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#42 Post by utilae »

I must have been thinking of something else, lol.

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#43 Post by Impaler »

I know the effect your talking about Utilae, I get it when playing Panzer General (great game by the way). I think its the calculations per second that are causing that to happen so we should include some manor or preventing that was well so in 20 years FO isn't having the same problem when we play it on our Pentium 9 TerraHertz computers!
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#44 Post by Geoff the Medio »

This is not an issue for FO. Modern games doing animation and the like base what you see during graphics frame X on the time of frame X, not the number of frames that have occured. Older computer games didn't have easily usable timers or extra processor speed to spend figuring out what the exact simulation time was, so just updated as fast as they could, which included the physics/simulation/ai/graphics.

Think of the clock display on your computer... it doesn't matter what your monitor refresh rate is or how fast your processor is... it still displays the correct time... which changes at the correct rate.

Yoghurt
Programmer

#45 Post by Yoghurt »

Besides that, FO is open source, unlike PG, so people get modify it if the need arises.