FreeOrion Version 0.2 Glitches, Crashes and Nitpicks.

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Extremepumpkin
Space Kraken

FreeOrion Version 0.2 Glitches, Crashes and Nitpicks.

#1 Post by Extremepumpkin »

I'm doing some extensive testing, (3 different computer setups, Both mutliplayer and single player). I'll use this thread to post any bugs/glitches/nitpicks that I find.

NOTE: Dont take these harshly, I'm just pointing out things that my Lab Rats/Friends have pointed out during my testing thus far. (I selected them as they have no prior invovlement with the project. Virgin eyes always help.)

Also, if these have been mentioned before, forgive me, but it is nice to have a list of bugs in V.2

I will update this post as I uncover more. All Screenshots are actual size, they have just been cropped for bandwidth saving.

Crash #1: Fleet Management

This bug happens sporadically. It does however occur conistantly. To activate the bug. I've only had it logged on my machine (although it has happened on others). This bug occurs when someone continually groups and ungroups fleets. (I've had it occur most on turn one). I did it by (on turn one) Colonizing a planet, then, continually dragging the scouts to "New Fleet" after, 4-5 click and drags, it crashes.

I've logged some of the Error Report.

It also sent the following file (Which i could not find)
C:\DOCUME~1\CHRISM~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER48.tmp.dir00\appcompat.txt

Glitch #1: Galaxy Creation Seed Issue
This bug is most evident on smaller Galaxies. It is however persistant. Galaxy creation at the moment, is not random, I can create a galaxy (10 stars) close the program and restart it and then create another 10 star galaxy and still have the exact same planets and stars. I don't know if this is supposed to be like this, I just thought I'd point it out.

Glitch #2: Overlapping Starlanes
This (if I recall correctly) has been mentioned in another form. I did however find it during my testing thus far, and as such, decided to put it here anyway. The picture shows that there is a starlane between stars 2 and 3 that overlaps the starlane between 1 and 2. The ship is at Star 1 and is headed for Star 3 (to illustrate the path and overlapping starlane).

Nitpick #1: Stars and bounding boxes

Seen in the following image, there are two noticible (however easily fixable and most likely replaced in V.3) instances where the edge of the sprite/bounding box for the Star sprite can be seen.

Nitpick #2: Zooming

Zoom is probably a setting that should be toned down. You can zoom MUCH farther then is useful in V.2 (Seen in following image)

Nitpick #3: Font
The GUI font used makes it nearly impossible to differentiate between a capital i and a lower case l (L)
Last edited by Extremepumpkin on Tue Aug 10, 2004 10:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Only after 14 hours of work, will you realize you can do it in 2.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

There are both a feature request and bug tracker pages on the sourceforge site for FO. You should probably post these there (unless an official sounding programmer contradicts me on this...)

Bugs: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_i ... tid=544942
Features Requests: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_i ... tid=544945

PowerCrazy
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by PowerCrazy »

A minor nitpick. Fleets are hard to click on and differentiate each other from. I suggest the active fleet be circled or enlarged to make it easier to click on them.

offtopic: Wow, this is everything I expected v.2 to be and more. I am completely amazed, and then some. The future looks bright for our galaxy. Thanks to all the programmers without who, the forum would just be a gaggle of "what-ifs."
Aquitaine is my Hero.... ;)

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by Impaler »

Yes lets give everyone a Hand, FreeOrion is already 10 times better looking then Moo3 (and game play is atleast comparable :P), I have posted a Bug report on the sourseforge (instant crash when right clicking anthing other then a star with the fleet managment window open). But I also have a few feature requests for the Planet side bar and UI, should feature requests go only on the SourseForge as well? It would be nice to have them discussed on the forum. Perhaps if and when managment desided to adress a feature request they start a discussion thread to get feedback on how/ware/why to implement the feature.
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

If your feature request is anything that needs graphical artsy stuff, you'll probly need to post about it in the graphics board / talk to miu. Other than that criteria, what is good for the feature request page and what should be forumed to death first isn't that clear... I suppose it doesn't hurt to put in a feature request, and start a forum thread if it's not acted on by any programmers...

Maybe noelte, tzlaine or miu could comment...?

noelte
Juggernaut

#6 Post by noelte »

Geoff the Medio wrote:The feature request page would probably be a good place to start...
In this case i done think so. If an discussion about an feature request is forseeable, we should start a forum thread.

BTW: If you report a bug or add a feature request, plz login in or add at least your name.
Press any key to continue or any other key to cancel.
Can COWs fly?