suggestion to change the default setup

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

suggestion to change the default setup

#1 Post by Dilvish »

The default galaxy setup with 61 systems and 3 AIs is pretty ancient, going back to when the AI's hardly mattered, and the game got bogged down much more quickly than now (perhaps excepting the current late-game server bloat, but that can be dealt with somewhat via periodic save and reload). I'd like to propose we make the default 150 systems and 6 AIs.

Another default setting I think should be reconsidered is the default AI aggression. We added the low aggression modes and put the default to Beginner back about a year ago when a number of dynamics were different-- the game started at a much faster pace and Aggressive AI's could really wipe up the map quickly against an inexperienced player. We got quite a few complaints back then about that with a harder default AI. I don't think there's nearly so much risk of that these days. I may be biased :twisted: but I think it would make a more gripping intro to the game if the default were Aggressive or Maniacal.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: suggestion to change the default setup

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I have no objections to such adjustments.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#3 Post by Vezzra »

Sounds like a good idea :)

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#4 Post by Dilvish »

ok done

Code: Select all

r6465 | dilvish-fo | 2013-10-24 11:25:42 -0700 (Thu, 24 Oct 2013) | 1 line
adjusted default galaxy options to 150 systems, 6 Maniacal AI
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0