compeditors

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Rockstone
Space Squid

compeditors

#1 Post by Rockstone »

http://cgi.dmclare.plus.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6 the cowproject are we compeditors in a sense to see whoose is better?
Master of orion 3 rules. (a pause) Why are you guys getting tomatoes out?

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#2 Post by Aquitaine »

Hardly. I think the head of the COW project is on these forums quite regularly. They have a slightly different scope than us, and so far, we've been happy to exchange ideas and experience.

One of the nice things about open source is that you don't really have competitors. However if someone tried to kidnap our programmers or graphic artists, that would be a different story...*brandishes club*
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

leiavoia
Space Kraken

#3 Post by leiavoia »

That's Daveybaby's project. he's been on it for some time, but he also hangs out here on this forum and is very helpful. He's been working on his project for longer than FO has been around and he's got some screenshots too (the graphics are lacking... at least it works though)

vishnou00
Space Kraken

#4 Post by vishnou00 »

Aquitaine wrote:However if someone tried to kidnap our programmers or graphic artists, that would be a different story...*brandishes club*
What programmer or graphic artist could stand a forum with such an ugly color scheme?!?

Rockstone
Space Squid

#5 Post by Rockstone »

what do you mean "diffrent scope"?
Master of orion 3 rules. (a pause) Why are you guys getting tomatoes out?

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#6 Post by Daveybaby »

The cow project is something i started waaaay back before i'd even heard about Moo3 - basically i'm a massive moo1 fan ( i found Moo2 too micromanagement intensive), and the cow project started out as a simple re-coding of Moo1 (i.e. a similar thing to what ray kerby is now doing with his Java Moo) with the intention to eventually start adding new features (such as some of the things i liked from Moo2, such as custom races etc). When i heard about Moo3 (about 2 years before its release) i pretty much dropped the project since Moo3 promised to offer everything i could possibly want from a 4x game.

Heh, and we all know how that turned out.

So after giving up on Moo3 i sort of re-started my project. However i ended up getting a bit carried away with myself, and my design bears little resemblance to Moo1 nowadays. Progress has pretty much stalled in the last few months, VERY busy at work combined with the fact that its summer means i have no free time at the moment. However, i AM still working on design concepts, and i plan to start producing runnable code in the autumn.

I'm not trying to compete with FO of JMoo or anyone else. This is actually something i'm doing primarily for fun - software engineering has become an incredibly dull job in the last 10 years, and i wanted to remind myself why i loved programming.

I guess i am kind of sneakily using these boards as a way of thinking though my ideas out loud. I tend to chip with my ideas in on issues i'm interested in, it often turns out that they dont fit in with where FO is going - but the discussions help me focus what it is that i want to do for COW. Basically i argue my PoV, if FO ends up handling something the way i would prefer then great (i AM going to be playing it one day, after all) but if not, then i will just implement it in COW and show you all how wrong you are :P
The COW Project : You have a spy in your midst.

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#7 Post by Daveybaby »

vishnou00 wrote:What programmer or graphic artist could stand a forum with such an ugly color scheme?!?
What do you mean? You should have seen it before i improved it!

Ragnar
Space Squid

#8 Post by Ragnar »

Daveybaby, what is yout ETA?
I agree with a lot of your ideas, and will be most interested when you finish the COW. (JavaMOO, too!)

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#9 Post by Daveybaby »

No ETA, no plan, no organisation, no clue!

I hope to have the UI ported to SDL by christmas (note that i havent specified which christmas). From there, i plan to add new features in a haphazard and inept manner, until the codebase becomes so unstable that i cant add anymore without it collapsing under the weight of its own spaghettification.

System requirements will be : 2 Terabytes of RAM. The game itself doesnt need all of that, but hey, all of those memory leaks will need something to fill. :D

Ragnar
Space Squid

#10 Post by Ragnar »

nice :lol: