My new FreeOrion LP on youtube

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

zalasur
Krill Swarm

My new FreeOrion LP on youtube

#1 Post by zalasur »

I was a fan of the old MOO series, and recently started playing FreeOrion. Needless to say, I liked what I saw and decided to do a few LP videos on youtube. The first one is uploaded, an here's the link to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ercBx7VrI-A

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: My new FreeOrion LP on youtube

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Thanks for posting.

zalasur
Krill Swarm

#3 Post by zalasur »

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#4 Post by Bigjoe5 »

1. I notice that you don't use the category filters on the research screen - is this because their existence/function is not obvious enough, or because it's not clear enough which category to look under to find techs that satisfy a particular need?
2. Systems with native species will have their names appear in white on the galaxy map, as opposed to the default grey.
3. Some specials are much more significant than others. The first system you looked at with native species happened to also contain a planet with a gaia special, which you seemed to ignore
4. The reason that tiny ocean planet didn't get the subterranean bonus was because it had the tectonic instability special, as described in that tech's description.

Anyhow, thanks for posting - it's useful not only as an introduction for new players, but as feedback for developers as well.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

zalasur
Krill Swarm

#5 Post by zalasur »

Bigjoe5 wrote:1. I notice that you don't use the category filters on the research screen - is this because their existence/function is not obvious enough, or because it's not clear enough which category to look under to find techs that satisfy a particular need?
2. Systems with native species will have their names appear in white on the galaxy map, as opposed to the default grey.
3. Some specials are much more significant than others. The first system you looked at with native species happened to also contain a planet with a gaia special, which you seemed to ignore
4. The reason that tiny ocean planet didn't get the subterranean bonus was because it had the tectonic instability special, as described in that tech's description.

Anyhow, thanks for posting - it's useful not only as an introduction for new players, but as feedback for developers as well.
1. I'm still figuring out the techs, so yes, I'm not doing much in the way of filtering. Most of the time, when I do filter, I end up unfiltering and the refiltering something else, and eventually I tend to give up and just take in the whole tech tree.
2. Ah, good to know! :D
3. Often, when I'm recording videos, I tend to ignore things that are obvious to people watching them because I'm focusing on keeping a train of thought going while also playing the game. ;) I'll have to go back and see what I missed.
4. Well, I realize that *now* :P

Thanks! I hope to keep playing this game and posting the videos as I do so. Hopefully as I get used to the game mechanics the pace will pick up a little bit. I kind of hoped to be past turn 10 before the end of episode #2, but that's how it goes sometimes. :D

yandonman
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by yandonman »

Keep 'em coming! Eagerly awaiting episode #3 - I want to see if you survive first contact. :twisted:
Code released under GPL 2.0. Content released under GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.

zalasur
Krill Swarm

#7 Post by zalasur »

I took a break from gaming for a bit to deal with real-world things, but it looks like we're going to be snowed in over in my neck of the woods, so outside of work, I will have time to play. :D