Status of Art asset development

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Gorbulan
Space Krill

Status of Art asset development

#1 Post by Gorbulan »

Greetings!

I am fan of this game and a 3D artist in need of something to do! What is the status of your art development/who do I contact to make some arts for FreeOrion? I have looked at the wiki and the artist forum but it seems to have all stopped by 2011. Does freeorion still need more graphics? If so, I am here to help!

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

Re: Status of Art asset development

#2 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Welcome to FreeOrion. Eleazar will probably come along and say useful stuff about artwork, but basically we need ships. See this thread for the type of quality we're looking for in terms of ships (though anything better than the current placeholders that are in use for most hulls is likely to be accepted). Some buildings are also needed - if in game you notice replication, or a mediocre placeholder, that's an indication that a model is needed.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Gorbulan
Space Krill

#3 Post by Gorbulan »

Thanks. Did you say ships??? I like ships. :mrgreen:

I have viewed that thread. I think I am capable of meeting that quality level.

Here is my blog: http://gorbulan.blogspot.com/

Here is my demo reel: http://vimeo.com/26653650

Let me know what you guys think. Most of my skills are in environments, but I have plenty of experience in ship/prop modeling.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by eleazar »

Better ships would be great. :) Mostly we have placeholders.

Check out the ship descriptions in-game, which don't necessarily match the current art. You have a lot of freedom beyond that -- just try to make more advanced ship hulls look cooler/more powerful.

Also be aware that most of the time, the ship will be pretty small on the screen. Designs should have a strong silhouette, and thus be recognizable and easily distinguished from each other.