Testing requests

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

yandonman
Creative Contributor

Testing requests

#1 Post by yandonman »

I'd like to request that a context menu on fleets, next to the "Rename" menu item, called "Give". It would give that fleet to a specific player (including AI).

Rationale: I'd like to do some testing on fleet composition vs fleet composition. Using a "Give" command I could put two fleets in deep space then "Give" one of them to an at-war (AI) player and see how the fleets perform.

If you had allies, I could also see this being used in real games.

It would also be cool if there was some sort of testing option tech that made everything free and cost 0 turns to build. Probably not so kosher for real games.
Code released under GPL 2.0. Content released under GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Testing requests

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

yandonman wrote:It would also be cool if there was some sort of testing option tech that made everything free and cost 0 turns to build. Probably not so kosher for real games.
There are some constants defined in the C++ code that if set to true make things cost 1 PP or 1 RP and take 1 turn to produce / research. These require rebuilding from source, though.

yandonman
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by yandonman »

Src won't build for me due to link.exe being out of memory now-a-days :(

What are the const names, if that ever corrects itself?
Code released under GPL 2.0. Content released under GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.

Geoff the Medio

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

CHEAP_AND_FAST_BUILDING_PRODUCTION
CHEAP_AND_FAST_TECH_RESEARCH
CHEAP_AND_FAST_SHIP_PRODUCTION

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#5 Post by Vezzra »

yandonman wrote:Src won't build for me due to link.exe being out of memory now-a-days
I could lend a helping hand... if you want, I can provide you with a special test build - just let me know.

yandonman
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by yandonman »

If I could get a build with the Give option and cheap_and_fast construction - that would be great

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#7 Post by Vezzra »

yandonman wrote:If I could get a build with the Give option and cheap_and_fast construction - that would be great
Cheap and fast production should be no problem, but implementing a "Give" command is far beyond something I could do reasonably quickly. So you have to be content with getting only half your wishes ;)

I wanted to do that tonight, but producing the new test builds took longer than I thought this time, and it's a bit late now for me. I'll try to get to it ASAP.

Geoff the Medio

#8 Post by Geoff the Medio »

yandonman wrote:If I could get a build with the Give option and cheap_and_fast construction - that would be great
Presumably a standalone battle simulator would be more useful?

yandonman
Creative Contributor

#9 Post by yandonman »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Presumably a standalone battle simulator would be more useful?
Yes, yes it would. Very much so.

(also, that would make a really cool "Test Your Ship in Combat" button from the design pane)

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#10 Post by Vezzra »

I've uploaded a special build with "cheap and fast" production and research (based on rev 5304) for Windows.

Download link.

Have fun! 8)

yandonman
Creative Contributor

#11 Post by yandonman »

Much obliged!