First impressions

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderators: Oberlus, Oberlus

Gator1000
Space Krill

First impressions

#1 Post by Gator1000 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:22 pm

Good game as is, reminded my of some good old days with MoU 1. But a few points.

I was confused about ship building as I seem to have a discrepancy between the stats given on the design page and those viewable on the galaxy view page. The ship I had was a heavy Asteroid Hull with 2 Plas Cannon II, 1 laser IV, 1 Death Ray I, 1 Deflector shield, 1 Deut Tank, 1 Elec Mag Damper, 1 Extra fuel tank, 1 Sensors (Ultimate detection). In the design page it said things like attack damage 161, structure 40, detection 0, stealth 10 but in galaxy view it said attack damage 0.161, structure 13, detection .3, stealth 65. Am I understanding this correctly? My old Mk 1 ships at least said they had an attack rating of 2 on the galaxy view page but my big battleship with death rays has less? Could be embarrassing for my fleet when I take it into battle. Also why do neither recognize my ultimate detection sensors?

I agree the monsters happily floating around are a bit much, they seem to breed like bunnies and they reached the point of being a bit like Alkiri(?) fighter swarms without actually doing any damage. Its almost cruel to shoot them. Except they breeeeed!! :shock:

I think the AI's need more character but presume that is in development. I'd like a deal more mystery than just up and fighting in the early stages. The AI's also cheat something awful as far as I can tell (ship production) and in several starts even in large galaxies and even when there's only one AI, they always seem to start fairly close to you.

Also I know this forum has mention about the build list and making it clearer re whats generally available, what can be built on a specific planet and whats already been built, but what about splitting the ship build list from the planet build list and giving modules different build icons or having something like shipyard level 1 able to have 3 modules - so forcing you to choose wisely. Shipyard level 2 is expensive but allows 3 additional modules etc. Could have fun with yard graphics etc then.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: First impressions

#2 Post by eleazar » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:45 pm

Gator1000 wrote:....but in galaxy view it said attack damage 0.161
That number is actually 0.161k, but gets cut off, i.e. a fraction of a thousand. You have a very powerful ship. Yeah that and other things are confusing in the way ship stats are displayed. All is not compete there yet.
Gator1000 wrote:I agree the monsters happily floating around are a bit much...
That varies quite a bit by the size of the galaxy, and the number of enemy AIs. You can tone them down, or turn them off (mostly) at galaxy setup.
Gator1000 wrote:I think the AI's need more character but presume that is in development.
Mostly we're trying to make them moderately competent. Personality may come later.
Gator1000 wrote:The AI's also cheat something awful as far as I can tell (ship production)
I don't think they cheat.