Request: Documentation

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

Request: Documentation

#1 Post by Tyreth »

Now that we have a new website integrated with the forums, it would be great if we had a few documents to help new users. This is a request for willing members to write it up. If you feel up to the task, then post here and be sure to collaborate with others looking for involvement. I'll coordinate the effort if there's a few involved.

1. Introduction - this document should contain a description of how we work. Who the leads are, what the ettiquette of the forums is, and how we make decisions. A general introduction to what goes on where.
2. FAQ - this will cross over with the first document, but will contain a lot more detail on related and unrelated questions. Eg, "When will FreeOrion 1.0 be ready?", "I don't think <x> is realistic, can you take it out please?", or "I have the best idea and FO will suck without it, how can I force you to accept it?".
3. Manual for 0.2 onwards - for each release after 0.1 I'd like to have a how to play document. Nothing fancy or complicated, but something that will reduce the overall volume of questions we are bound to receive.

We now have a knowledge base, and we can begin to use this to help people understand the project.

If you have any more ideas, also post here please.
Last edited by Tyreth on Thu Jun 24, 2004 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#2 Post by Tyreth »

Due to lack of responses, and inspired by Wikipedia and a recent test install of mediawiki, I am considering installing mediawiki on this website to serve as our documentation system.

If you are not familiar with a wiki, please check out the wikipedia (search google). It should be a great way for us to manage documentation in such a way that anyone can change, add and maintain.

If you have any thoughts, pro or con, let me know soon - I'll be installing this probably within seven days depending on time constraints.
Address options:
http://wiki.freeorion.org/
http://freeorion.org/wiki/
Let me know your preference.

Marijn
Space Squid

#3 Post by Marijn »

I like the idea, wiki's make contributing very easy. You'll probably have to set up some kind of ruleset for the content, so it takes a form that is easily transferrable to another form of documentation (unless you plan to always keep the documentation as a wiki - actually a wiki game manual sounds cool to me, though end users might not be too interested in all the development talk that will probably end up the wiki).

Prokonsul Piotrus
Space Kraken

#4 Post by Prokonsul Piotrus »

The Wiki is great, but where can I find the 'Manual for 0.2+' ?

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#5 Post by Aquitaine »

There isn't one. I'm actually not sure of the point of a manual this early on. Maybe for v0.3, but a lot is going to change beween v0.2 and v0.3, and especially between v0.3 and v0.4.
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

Prokonsul Piotrus
Space Kraken

#6 Post by Prokonsul Piotrus »

But where can I find the simple list of things that have already been approved, according with the roadmap?

For example, if I am reading the roadmap correctly, those things should be described somewhere...

Basic economy model / planet classification (passed - Aquitaine) (includes precise numbers for mineral & nutrient production)

Population growth model & population cap (to be passed)

Incorporation of nutrients and minerals and some manner in which minerals will feed industry

Environmental preferences (although as there are no races, everyone will have the same preferences for several versions)

Basic Planet Specials (model for how specials will work; perhaps specials that affect resources)

The Design Archieve, Game Features and other sections on the forum seem to contain suggestions and discussion, but no conclusions - at least this is how it appears to me.

If I may recommend (and I could do it myself if you approve) those sections of wiki could be hyperlinked to releveant parts of forum (or wiki).

drek
Designer Emeritus

#7 Post by drek »

It's maybe a little too buried, but the v.1 and v.2 requirement documents are on the wiki.

http://www.freeorion.org/wiki/index.php ... quirements

Of the items listed, planet specials didn't make the cut for v.2. (which in retrospect is probably a good thing)