v.3.17

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: v.3.17

#16 Post by Geoff the Medio »

OllyG wrote:I built a new Imperial Palace today and kept my old one, so I now have two. When I look myself up on the Pedia my capital is listed as the original one. I carried on a few turns, but no change.
I think which palace actually sets the capital is effectively random.
My original capital has a supply of 3.00 from the Imperial Palace, my new Palace gives supply of 3.00, with a Space Elevator giving 0 at that location. The palace description claims a +1 bonus.
The text description is not consistent with the building script. The latter actually determines what happens.
When I check my planets I get the benefits and penalties from focus reported as my species name, not the focus name. This is quite strange for Heavy Mining, Where my population could be:
Human +20.0
Human -10.0
Federation Tech Subterranean Construction +12.0
Federation Tech Transdimensional Housing +4.00
I think that later on when species have bonus/penalties this should be marked by species name (maybe followed by the ability/penalty name - like technologies). The Focus bonuses and penalties should be labeled as such.
Internally, foci do not have any effects attached to them; they are just a flag on a planet, which the species' effects check for to decide when to apply a bonus or not. Arbitrary conditions can determine whether an effect applies to a planet, which may include focus, but isn't limited just to it, so there's no automatic way to assign responsibility for an effect to a particular focus. A workaround might be to have a string for effect accounting purposes with each effectsgroup, but this would be a moderate sized job to set up, and not likely to happen soon.

OllyG
Space Kraken

Re: v.3.17

#17 Post by OllyG »

OllyG wrote:I built a new Imperial Palace today and kept my old one, so I now have two. When I look myself up on the Pedia my capital is listed as the original one. I carried on a few turns, but no change.
But I think the old one should be removed. Surely the effects are generated by the government - not by the building! If the the building isn't destroyed, it should at least be renamed 'Imperial Palace (disused)'. Maybe when governments come in a focus could be added to allow the type of governement to be selected, but only useable at planets where there is an Imperial Palace, and only at one of them. Running a galactic empire should probably be able to keep most of a planet busy enough to stop other focii from being used. The old Palace could add a bit of Trade or something - as a tourist attraction.
Geoff the Medio wrote:I think which palace actually sets the capital is effectively random.
The location of the capital seems really important, as it is the location of the resource stockpile. Systems unconnected by supply routes do not contribute and cannot withdraw from the stockpile.