Can I borrow your art?

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

StatusDog
Krill Swarm

Can I borrow your art?

#1 Post by StatusDog »

I am also making my own moo game just as a personal hobby. I am not going to sell it or anything. But I need some art and you guys have some very nice art.

Thanks

StatusDog

drek
Designer Emeritus

#2 Post by drek »

http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/1.0/

I'm not 100% clear on legal issues...but if you use art donated to FreeOrion in another game it would be ethical to make the program open source.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#3 Post by pd »

you should always ask/tell the corresponding artist before doing this.

StatusDog
Krill Swarm

#4 Post by StatusDog »

I dont know who the artists are, that is why I am asking here.

I have no problem with making it open source. The game is comming along very nicely. I think its almost at the same level of FreeOrion.

leiavoia
Space Kraken

#5 Post by leiavoia »

except for the art of course ;-)

StatusDog
Krill Swarm

#6 Post by StatusDog »

OK, here is a copy of what I have done so far.

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~pull0017/files/MOOvb.zip

The full source code is included. I think its a pretty good engine so far, though its not a game yet. I am starting the process now of turning it into a game now that I have the interface engine completed.

StatusDog

StatusDog
Krill Swarm

#7 Post by StatusDog »

If you want to view my source you will need the lastest DirectX SDK and Visual Studio.Net 2003

vorenhutz
Pupating Mass

#8 Post by vorenhutz »

I can't run it, it complains about missing mscoree.dll, is that in the DirectX SDK?

[edit]
I downloaded the .NET framework 1.1 from windowsupdate - 23 Mb, yikes!
It might work now, I need to reboot. *sigh*

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#9 Post by Tyreth »

All artwork that is a part of the FreeOrion project can be used in other projects, but read this thread:
http://www.artclusta.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=351

You must credit the original authors however, and preferably the FreeOrion project too. We are creating original artwork for our project, so ultimately we'd prefer if other games were not released looking like ours. However, it would be possible I imagine to use some of our artwork while still obtaining your own completely new look and feel.

It is important to note that not all artwork published on the forums is necessarily under the license or a part of our project, so you might want to be careful what you take.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#10 Post by pd »

I dont know who the artists are, that is why I am asking here.
we have a graphics forum - you can post the images you are going to use and ask for the artist ;)

miu
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#11 Post by miu »

Link to licence thread was already shown, so you need to share it with similar licence. For credits, listing of current graphics-team is at general guidelines thread at graphics forum.
Difference between a man and a gentleman is that a man does what he wants, a gentleman does what he should. - Albert Camus

StatusDog
Krill Swarm

#12 Post by StatusDog »

Well, other then maybe posting my game on this forum. I wont be releasing it. If I am using your work for my own fun programming in my bedroom, you nor anybody else will ever find out. But I will put a readme.txt file with my code anyways giving art credit to free orion.