n00b alert! how are supply lanes formed?

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

hklvette
Space Floater

n00b alert! how are supply lanes formed?

#1 Post by hklvette »

Hi all,

Downloaded FO for windows a few days ago. I enjoy it quite a bit, and look to follow its progress as time goes on. As for my question:

I see that the homeworld has a supply range of 3 at the start of the game, and colonies/ outposts (when formed) have none. What factors play into calculating the length of a particular planet's supply range? Is it the construction meter?

I'm using this version: .3.16 [SVN 4046] MSVC 2008 on Vista x64

Thanks!

edit: prior to this post, I have searched for info on supply lanes, and saw the small blurb about them next to orbital construction in the quick play guide (a big thanks to whoever wrote that!), but I have orbital construction and my supply lanes don't appear to be growing :(

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: n00b alert! how are supply lanes formed?

#2 Post by eleazar »

There's planetary resource supply lines, and ship resupply lines. I'm not sure the game is entirely clear on which "supply" it is talking about at all points.

The construction meter (which really should be called "infrastructure") is what determines planetary supply. At every 20 (so 20, 40, 60, 80, 100) on the construction meter, you get another star-lane jump on your planetary resource supply lines. So when you get a tech that lets the construction meter grow, you still have to wait for it to grow another 20 before your supply lines increase.

hklvette
Space Floater

#3 Post by hklvette »

Thanks for the response Eleazar!

Is it safe to assume that the "supply" meter in the planet's menu is updated each turn?

Zireael
Space Dragon

#4 Post by Zireael »

Eleazar: A request then, to clarify in-game which supply lines are which, maybe rename the fleet supply lines to smth else...

eleazar

#5 Post by eleazar »

hklvette wrote:Is it safe to assume that the "supply" meter in the planet's menu is updated each turn?
I believe so. But that supply with the icon of 3 boxes is ship supply.

Zireael
Space Dragon

#6 Post by Zireael »

Would it be possible then to have the planet's supply lines length displayed somewhere?

hklvette
Space Floater

#7 Post by hklvette »

Zireael wrote:Would it be possible then to have the planet's supply lines length displayed somewhere?
I think I've found the answer to that. In the version that I have installed, the ship supply lines are dots moving along the starlanes. The planetary supply lines are your solid colored lines (red, for instance). If you look near your homeworld, you can see that the two overlap.

eleazar

#8 Post by eleazar »

hklvette wrote:In the version that I have installed, the ship supply lines are dots moving along the starlanes. The planetary supply lines are your solid colored lines (red, for instance). If you look near your homeworld, you can see that the two overlap.
That's correct.

The idea is that system that has planetary supply also has ship supply, so the dots don't (and don't need to) show up very well against the solid lines, unless you change the preferences. You can change the line width of various things.

Zireael
Space Dragon

#9 Post by Zireael »

I know. But if you have a number for the ship supply, then a number for planet supply would be nice too.