FreeOrion preview @ Gameland.ee

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

SirExeC
Space Krill

FreeOrion preview @ Gameland.ee

#1 Post by SirExeC »

Hi,

Those of you who understand Estonian can read first preview of FreeOrion @ http://www.gameland.ee/index.php?page=article&id=963 .

I must say that i really love what you are doing and wish you the best!

noelte
Juggernaut

#2 Post by noelte »

Can somebody translate this article in brief? :?

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#3 Post by pd »

i don't like this... somebody should have asked before publishing an article about v0.1... in this preview the graphics and 'kokku' are rated... how can you rate something if it will change a lot in future? in my mind a preview can be written when v0.8 or v0.9 will be released.

somebody at gameland.ee should provide us at least width an english translation...

noelte
Juggernaut

#4 Post by noelte »

I think Aq. or Tyreth should post them a message. I also think, if we release something into public we have to expect a >>review<<. On the other hand, these guys should at least provide a english page of their review.

Ronald.

miu
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#5 Post by miu »

I dont know Estonian, but as Finnish and Estonian are quite close lanquages I understood something about it.
In their frontpage point freeorion as coming alternative to failed and disappointing MOO3. Article tells about history of moo games and what 4x games generally are about. It tells that freeorion is developed by a open team, goes trough galaxy generation, starmap, fleetmovement and all the features in 0.1 in detail, and tells and speculates about things to wait from coming mailstones, mainly traditional 4x-stuff here. It tells that technology tree will be similar to HOI and the game is programmed in C++. Many things are about coming development are assumed by how moo games went but couldn't spot major mistakes.

plusses:
Freeorion is free, innovative and developed openly
minuses:
many things are not done yet, lacks eye-candy and and finalization
graphics: ***
addictivity: ****

I enjoyed the points in preview hoping for better sound/music and critisising about graphics. And they specially pointed out that each galaxy generated is different ;)
Its very good that this isn't in english, as it is very early preview based on version that doesn't have much to play with. (and such, silly really to do a preview on). Main point of preview seems to be to offer a game to wait for those disappointed and frustrated with moo3.
Difference between a man and a gentleman is that a man does what he wants, a gentleman does what he should. - Albert Camus

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#6 Post by Aquitaine »

I think, in the future, we should probably include a note about news sites in our README.

I'm not sure there's much point to asking them to take it down.

-Aq
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

noelte
Juggernaut

#7 Post by noelte »

Aquitaine wrote:I'm not sure there's much point to asking them to take it down.
No, i also don't think so. But they should tell/ask next time they plan to write something about fo. As it seems to be a positv >>review<< i'm happy with it. It only tells us, how disappointed people are about moo3 and how eager to find a good space strategy game.

Ronald.

SirExeC
Space Krill

#8 Post by SirExeC »

this isn't an genuine preview...it's more like pre-pre-preview, where gameland.ee tries to inform people that there is a cool project like FreeOrion in developement!(and mybe there are people out there who wish/and can help you with it, problem beeing that they didn't know that such project exists)

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#9 Post by Aquitaine »

I don't know if you're from Gameland, but since you have an .ee IP I'll address you for the record.

We are very particular about managing our news distribution because we don't want to get interested people until we're at a point where we can shuttle them into positions that need filling. If we get too much interest too early, then it does us no good as they won't feel needed or useful.

-Aq
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

leiavoia
Space Kraken

#10 Post by leiavoia »

on the other hand, any additional links are slowly building your google ranking. That might be good for later.

PowerCrazy
Creative Contributor

#11 Post by PowerCrazy »

At least we got 8.5 out of 10 stars. Whatver that means. They are hopeful?

Strange though. Oh well.
Aquitaine is my Hero.... ;)

SirExeC
Space Krill

#12 Post by SirExeC »

8.5 stars are for the article...you can't rate a game that isn't ready yet :wink:

Ablaze
Creative Contributor

#13 Post by Ablaze »

hehe.. "We got a good review!"

"damn.. what can we do about it?"
Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#14 Post by pd »

'making the next one very good' :)