About the speed

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

stonedevil
Space Krill

About the speed

#1 Post by stonedevil »

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the excellent developers for their hard work and state that you guys are doing an excellent job. I have played moo's (1 and 2 that is) many many times over and you guys have something here that is really great even in comparison with titans such as these (at least in my opinion). There are 2 things i have noticed that i would like to share:

1. I'm deep in the game (turn-wise) and now the "production and growth" stage seems to be taking forever. Literally it takes about 2-3 minutes to pass. Is there any way to speed this up? Can i do something about this?

2. I'm playing with the race that prefers barren planets. There is a swamp planet i have that when terraformed...does nothing. Just thought i would point it out in case you guys need to know about stuff like that

If i'm in the wrong forum place or have said something that has already been said , i must apologize. I did not have the time to scour this whole board (and with all the cryptic topics as well). Cheers guys and thanks for the effort

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

Re: About the speed

#2 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Welcome.
stonedevil wrote:1. I'm deep in the game (turn-wise) and now the "production and growth" stage seems to be taking forever. Literally it takes about 2-3 minutes to pass. Is there any way to speed this up? Can i do something about this?
That sounds like a huge improvement over before.
stonedevil wrote:2. I'm playing with the race that prefers barren planets. There is a swamp planet i have that when terraformed...does nothing. Just thought i would point it out in case you guys need to know about stuff like that.
Yeah, I think Terraforming is broken right now. I don't know whether or not it's fixed in SVN.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

stonedevil wrote:1. I'm deep in the game (turn-wise) and now the "production and growth" stage seems to be taking forever. Literally it takes about 2-3 minutes to pass. Is there any way to speed this up? Can i do something about this?
If you're playing v0.3.16 and you wanted to dig deep, you could probably speed things up by rearranging some lines in the content script files, like this.

The next release, or a more recent build and content files should also be better for turn times.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#4 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Geoff the Medio wrote:...you could probably speed things up by rearranging some lines in the content script files, like this.
How does that speed things up? I actually put them in that order because I thought it was faster, so it would be nice to know for future content files.

My reasoning was that if the Contains Source condition comes first, then it will first test every object in the universe once to see if it contains the source object, then it will test the two objects that contain the source object to see which of them is a planet. The other way around, it tests every object in the universe to see which is a planet, then tests every planet in the universe to see which contains the source object, which (I would have thought) takes longer.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Bigjoe5 wrote:My reasoning was that if the Contains Source condition comes first, then it will first test every object in the universe once to see if it contains the source object, then it will test the two objects that contain the source object to see which of them is a planet. The other way around, it tests every object in the universe to see which is a planet, then tests every planet in the universe to see which contains the source object, which (I would have thought) takes longer.
In the SVN version, you might be right, but in v0.3.16, there were fewer optimizations for condition evaluation, so that Contains is / was a very slow condition. Specifically, the subcondition (what should be contained) was re-evaluated on all objects in the universe for every object being matched by the main condition. So, removing everything that's not a planet greatly sped things up in v0.3.16, by eliminating many subcondition tests. In SVN, the main condition checks if the subcondition is simple enough to be evaluated just once, and uses the single result for each main condition match when possible, greatly speeding things up, and probably making your logic quoted above applicable, although the difference is much smaller.