FreeOrion 0.1 Issues thread

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Rorschach
Space Krill

#61 Post by Rorschach »

.1 tested and accepted. Good work.
:)

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#62 Post by Daveybaby »

pd wrote:i'm working on this with noelte atm, it's smooth if we use 128 frames(we are using multiple .pngs atm, one for every frame -> 2,8mb), 64 isn't that smooth, but could also work.
i would like to use a video format for this purpose, but i don't know how hard it is to implement. i've rendered to an .avi file(xvid codec) and the animation is only 300kb. it looks clean and smooth.
That is just barking. How many planet types and planets of each type and size are there going to be? Youre talking of well over 100meg just for planet data.
if you use a 3d sphere with attached texture you won't be able to get a nice atmosphere effect. prerendered looks much better!
Of course you can, you just have to code the stuff in there. You can have separately rotating cloud maps, night lights on the dark side (showing how developed the planet is), anything you want. You just need to let the programmers do some of the work for you.

If the processing requirements are too large to run on a low spec machine (an higher spec'd machine should be able to handle it pretty easily) then make it an option to have static planets.
The COW Project : You have a spy in your midst.

noelte
Juggernaut

#63 Post by noelte »

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#64 Post by Daveybaby »

Fair enough. I couldve sworn there were going to be 4 images for each planet type, but whatever. 46meg still seems large to me, for only 8x2 planet images.

Guess i just look for programming solutions to everything :P

Edit : Moved a load of technical guff to the proper thread discussion.
Last edited by Daveybaby on Thu Mar 11, 2004 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The COW Project : You have a spy in your midst.

theCarlinist
Space Krill

#65 Post by theCarlinist »

Zanzibar wrote:Clicking on an unexplored system allows full view of all planets in the system. What is the purpose of scouts then?
They're there to keep the game from crashing when you colonize a planet. :mrgreen: :lol:

Seriously,though,they can also be used as cannon fodder if the enemy comes calling....

vorenhutz
Pupating Mass

#66 Post by vorenhutz »

drek wrote: (Actually, I find the splash screen tween turns jarring. It would be better to have just a small status box in the top center of the screen. Esp. important during multiplayer games: players should be able to continue chatting and looking at their empire's state between turns.)
Totally agree with this, the splash screen is just annoying. But I guess it's simpler than disabling all the controls that can produce orders between turns.

vorenhutz
Pupating Mass

#67 Post by vorenhutz »

drek wrote: 4: You shouldn't be able to see planets in unexplored systems. Need a nice "Unexplored" bitmap to stick into the sidebar. (also, maybe system names should be hidden or greyed out on unexplored systems--makes it easier to tell which has been scouted)
I'd suggested unexplored systems have their names hidden, and unoccupied systems should be greyed out to make it easier to spot occupied systems (and/or make the player colors stand out more).

vorenhutz
Pupating Mass

#68 Post by vorenhutz »

Please post new bugs/sugs http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=br ... tid=544942 there. Copied contents of this thread to bug database.

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#69 Post by Tyreth »

Just confirning what vorenhutz said - all new bugs to be posted to the link he provided. If you wish, you can also post in this thread as well as to the bug tracker.

Also, if you see newcomers or oldies posting bugs on the forums here, please gently provide them a link to the bugtracker and ask them to search to see if it's there already, then submit it if it isn't.

noelte
Juggernaut

#70 Post by noelte »

vorenhutz wrote:Please post new bugs/sugs http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=br ... tid=544942 there. Copied contents of this thread to bug database.
Please asure that we can easyly distinguish between bugs and suggestions. Maby BUG:.... and SUG:....

vorenhutz
Pupating Mass

#71 Post by vorenhutz »

Perhaps BUG and SUG could be groups (instead of versions currently, which I mostly left blank)
[edit] hmm OK more obvious way of doing it is to have suggestions submitted as feature requests (separate tracker system).

Yoghurt
Programmer

#72 Post by Yoghurt »

I would recommend that, if you work on a bug, you assign it to yourself.

BTW: What is the consensus about "pending" here? Does it stand for "pending upload" or "working on it"?

Edit: I was just informed that you need to have special rights for this. So, if you want to work on a bug, drop a line to noelte, tyreth, tzlaine or me.
Last edited by Yoghurt on Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noelte
Juggernaut

#73 Post by noelte »

Hmm, how can i change the status, ... of one bug report?

Yoghurt
Programmer

#74 Post by Yoghurt »

noelte wrote:Hmm, how can i change the status, ... of one bug report?
Log in to Sourceforge, select the bug and change the Assigned to and/or the Status field, press Update

noelte
Juggernaut

#75 Post by noelte »

Yoghurt wrote:
noelte wrote:Hmm, how can i change the status, ... of one bug report?
Log in to Sourceforge, select the bug and change the Assigned to and/or the Status field, press Update
I'm logged in and i can't change anything. All i can do is addind a comment.