Warning: Incomine Newbie

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Mayhem82
Space Krill

Warning: Incomine Newbie

#1 Post by Mayhem82 »

Heyoo! I just started playing, and I must say, for an alpha build, I'm impressed. I've always been interested in 4X, and as of now I can only bring myself to play space games. I'm also stuck using a netbook, and every other game I tried can't run because of my stupid 1024x600 native resolution (tried both Sword of the Stars and Galactic Civillizations 2), and they all need 1024x768. Oh well! FreeOrion rules!

Ok, noob question: I kinda messed up when I entered my desired username on the boards, and I was wondering if I could change it. I've always used the name Mayhem82, and, as a perfectionist, this is really bugging me. But, eh, it's minor.

So yeah! I'd also appreciate some tips. Any kind. And maybe a place where I can actually see some combat screens/videos. I can't find any, and I'm awfully far away from actually being able to fund warfare with my fledgeling economy!

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

Re: Warning: Incomine Newbie

#2 Post by Zanzibar »

You should be able to change the resolution for SotS by editing the .ini file for it... Although, on a netbook... I'm not sure if the graphics processing power is up to SotS specs... in theory, you can get a custom resolution this way... check the tech support forums at http://www.swordofthestars.com/ and the wiki for more help with this issue.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Mayhem82 wrote:Ok, noob question: I kinda messed up when I entered my desired username on the boards, and I was wondering if I could change it. I've always used the name Mayhem82, and, as a perfectionist, this is really bugging me. But, eh, it's minor.
Changed.
So yeah! I'd also appreciate some tips. Any kind. And maybe a place where I can actually see some combat screens/videos. I can't find any, and I'm awfully far away from actually being able to fund warfare with my fledgeling economy!
The combat system isn't finished yet, though there is some work-in-progress demonstrated in the video on the FreeOrionOrg youtube channel.

Mayhem82
Space Krill

#4 Post by Mayhem82 »

Zanzibar wrote:You should be able to change the resolution for SotS by editing the .ini file for it... Although, on a netbook... I'm not sure if the graphics processing power is up to SotS specs... in theory, you can get a custom resolution this way... check the tech support forums at http://www.swordofthestars.com/ and the wiki for more help with this issue.
I checked, and according to my specs, I should be able to run it maxed out, in two separate windows if I wanted (dunno why I would). It's just that there is no .ini file that I can find for the demo version (I always try before I buy). I could fix it if I could access the options menu, but the game crashes every time I hit the options button. Got GalCiv2 working though! :D

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#5 Post by Zanzibar »

Well I don't know much about the demo version of SotS... but I know in the full game sots.ini is USUALLY in the folder it installs in on windows XP... not sure about newer versions of windows like vista or 7... might wanna use the search function to hunt it down... bet it's hiding somewhere in a virtualized folder... (next time, install to a folder like c:\games\ so you don't have to play hunt the .ini file, eh?)

Also note: the complete collection is much improved and has a LOT more things than the demo does... also, are you playing the ORIGINAL demo, or the one released for Born of Blood (the 1st expansion?)?

Mayhem82
Space Krill

#6 Post by Mayhem82 »

I'm running the original SotS demo, although I've heard that the problem exists with other demo versions as well. I searched my whole friggin' computer(hard drive, library, My Pictures etc.), and not a sign of it. I did manage to start it using 3D Analyzer's "Force Windowed Mode" function, but the create game button is below the cutoff point, the the Options button makes it crash.

Had the exact same problem with GalCiv2, but I decided to buy it and there it was, a .ini file, and now it runs great. I would do the same thing for SotS, but I want to know exactly how well it runs first (I can't stomach games with graphics on lowest, no matter how great). Man this is really bugging me, as FreeOrion doesn't have 3D combat yet, and GalCiv2's can't be controlled.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#7 Post by Zanzibar »

Well, maybe post on the sots forums about it? Maybe someone else has gotten it to run on a netbook and knows how well it performs?

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#8 Post by Zanzibar »

Ok, I was a bit off... the file you are looking for is display.cfg not sots.ini... and, you can also create one manually... check the wiki and/or tech support forums for how to do that for the game... cheers! :)