Just Discovered FreeOrion!

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Hawk
Krill Swarm

Just Discovered FreeOrion!

#1 Post by Hawk »

Hello everyone

I love 4X games, and played virtually every one I could afford on my meagre budget, be they TBS or RTS.

I discovered FreeOrion a short time ago, and I have played about with version 0.3. I must say I am very impressed. This is an excellent start to a game. I particularly like how the economic management works. Setting planet focus and waiting. Brilliant! Cuts down on so much micromanagement, but still allows for planning and depth of strategic thought.

I am a coder with experience in Java, PHP, Perl, JS/HTML/CSS/XML and a number of other scripting languages, I have played around with C++ and Python but unfortunately I am not so strong in those, and I haven't really heard of the others. I would love to help out, but I guess I would need to spend some time learning them first.

So how long until 0.4? :D

Hawk

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

Re: Just Discovered FreeOrion!

#2 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Welcome. Browsing through the code, and perhaps trying to fix a small bug or taking on a minor programming task. It's also a good idea to become familiar with the design documents, particularly for v.4.
Hawk wrote:So how long until 0.4? :D
Good question. A lot of stuff that needs to be done for v.4 is already in place, AFAIK, but I've been wondering exactly what still needs to be done in terms of programming/other assets before we actually have functional combat.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Hawk
Krill Swarm

Re: Just Discovered FreeOrion!

#3 Post by Hawk »

Yes, I noticed the combat behaviour was a little strange in V0.3.15. I sent in an armed scout to check out an enemy star system. For 3 turns the SitRep said there had been a battle, but I got no details, then it suddenly flipped to my colour, and the enemy fleet was still there unharmed (Its colony ship and two unarmed scouts). Then next turn it flipped back to them, and has been flipping back and forth since. lol.