Question: How many tech trees will FO include?

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Uziush Vielky
Space Floater

Question: How many tech trees will FO include?

#1 Post by Uziush Vielky »

I have a small and stupid question: Are you planning to make only one huge tech tree for all races/empires in the game?

It would be unbelievable that so many different races throughout the universe have the same tech tree... GalCiv2: Twilight of the Arnor tried to implement unique tech trees for every race/empire, but that didn't come out very good. I would like to hear what do you think about putting some variety in the tech trees in FO?

PL_Andrev
Space Floater

Re: Question: How many tech trees will FO include?

#2 Post by PL_Andrev »

It is too hard to implementation, especially with races balancing.
This is really interesting idea but I think not at this moment.

But please remember that special technology must have special mechanism - is possible to catch this technology by other?

1) What about trade with this special technology?
2) What about ship's scrapping with special technology?
3) What about destroyed ships with special technology in battle?
4) What about using ships with special technology by others?
5) What about planetary capture with this technology (buildings)?

If this technology will be available to other, maybe good point is possibility to developing this technology with 5x slower progress that native?

But:
This is really interesting idea but I think not at this moment.
:wink:

Uziush Vielky
Space Floater

#3 Post by Uziush Vielky »

The Roadmap for 0.3 clearly says: „Tech tree beginning: establish as much resources and growth tech content now as possible, adding more as necessary and possible while doing future versions.”

The development of the in game tech tree is just starting. Beside that, many games did multiple tech trees before (GalCiv2, Sword of the Stars). Even in MoO2 you could capture an Antaran or enemy ship with techs you didn’t have. This is just about balance and deepening the gameplay (i.e. back researching captured techs, some of them could be capturable but you won’t be able to replicate them). While playing GalCiv2 I always trade for some Torian research techs (each of them give 5% research bonus and the Torians are willing to trade them if you're nice to them). They’re just included beside my own tech tree. I don’t see any problems with the point’s you’ve made.
PL_Andrev wrote: This is really interesting idea but I think not at this moment.
Don’t you think the statement quoted above should be reserved for the development or the creative team?

So I ask again: Are you planning to make only one huge tech tree for all races/empires in the game? Or some variety will be included?

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by pd »

Technically it's already possible to have a tech only available to a certain species I think. As you said, the general design of the tech tree is still heavily work in progress, but in future it will probably include a number of techs exclusive to certain species.

Uziush Vielky
Space Floater

#5 Post by Uziush Vielky »

Did you think about certain race picks that modify the tech tree? For example selecting something like "lithovore" form MoO2 would disable all farming techs. Some race picks could add branches (like "small homeworld" could add more advanced techs of miniaturization and construction. This is only an example - I don't know about the planned race picks in FO). Is this possible? This way each race/empire could be more unique.