Some very dumb questions from a newb

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Ector
Space Krill

Some very dumb questions from a newb

#1 Post by Ector »

1. Can I look at the battle where my fleets participated? I've tried, but looks like I'm just getting a message "there was a battle", and nothing else - not even the report who was the winner!
2. Looks like systems that were colonized too far away from the main supply lanes have their production equal to zero. Is it a bug or not?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Some very dumb questions from a newb

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Ector wrote:1. Can I look at the battle where my fleets participated? I've tried, but looks like I'm just getting a message "there was a battle", and nothing else - not even the report who was the winner!
Not in v0.3.14. The battle interactive / 3D battle system is still being developed.
2. Looks like systems that were colonized too far away from the main supply lanes have their production equal to zero. Is it a bug or not?
To have production available at a location, you need to have both minerals and industry avaialble at that location. A planet doens't need to be connect to "the main supply lines" or the homeworld to have both available, but if it's a planet completely isolated, it may have a difficult time producing sufficient quantities of both resources.

Ector
Space Krill

#3 Post by Ector »

One more dumb question, if you don't mind...
I've noticed that only my homeworld has Mineral (10), all the colonies have no minerals. Why? I've even built an Asteroid Mining on a colony, but the colony still had no Minerals!!!

Geoff the Medio

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Are the colonies set to mining focus? Generally you need to set focus to a resource to get bonuses to output of that resource. Building asteroid mines won't do much good if your planets aren't told to use them (by setting their focus appropriately).

Ector
Space Krill

#5 Post by Ector »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Are the colonies set to mining focus? Generally you need to set focus to a resource to get bonuses to output of that resource. Building asteroid mines won't do much good if your planets aren't told to use them (by setting their focus appropriately).
But the default focus is "Distributed", isn't it? This should divide the colony's efforts equally. I should have at least SOME minerals, not zero.
Not in v0.3.14. The battle interactive / 3D battle system is still being developed.
Could you at least report how many ships were destroyed from both sides?

Geoff the Medio

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Ector wrote:But the default focus is "Distributed", isn't it? This should divide the colony's efforts equally.
It's called "Balanced", but that's the idea.
I should have at least SOME minerals, not zero.
Equal effort does not always produce equal results. In this case, there's probably some penalties to mining on the planets you're looking at.

There should be a breakdown if you hover the mouse over the minerals output icon.
Could you at least report how many ships were destroyed from both sides?
We could do a lot of things... It's all going to be updated when the real combat system gets implemented.

Also, likely no ships were destroyed. A single round of battles usually only partly damages ships in v0.3.14.