gameplay video

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

gameplay video

#1 Post by pd »

You can check it out here, watch in 720p if possible. It's just a first, rough take on it, so keep the link to yourself and come back with feedback. I'll revisit it afterwards and try to improve it accordingly. Once finished, it could be added to the screenshots/media section.

I didn't really go into detail about resources, focus selection etc. Just the basics: explore, expand, research*, design and build ships + a combat/tech demo preview.

* I'm using a custom, simplified techtree. I'll post more about it later in content creation.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: gameplay video

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Should there be sound?

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#3 Post by pd »

This one is intentionally without :) I'll add it to the next one.

MikkoM
Space Dragon

#4 Post by MikkoM »

What FreeOrion options resolution did you use when you made this? The UI texts are currently quite small so I wonder, if changing the FreeOrion resolution could fix this. Also like Geoff already mentioned sound and music could be a great addition to the video.

Overall I think that gameplay videos such as this are a great idea to display and advertise FreeOrion.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#5 Post by pd »

The video was scaled down slightly. I'll avoid this next time. I'm also using a smaller than default font size. I'll use audio in the final version, but I was hoping for input regarding what to show and how much explaining I should do(I'll improve the appeareance of the notes as well of course).
Ideally this should spark interest even in people unfamiliar with the genre.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

pd wrote:(I'll improve the appeareance of the notes as well of course).
They need to be a lot more prominent, and there should be one in the first few seconds, so people know to look for them. I wasn't aware there were notes after the first brief partial viewing.

MikkoM
Space Dragon

#7 Post by MikkoM »

Are there any frequently asked questions that new users have about FreeOrion`s game play, which aren`t so much version specific, but rather involve the general FreeOrion game design? Because if there are such questions, it might be a good idea to use a general game play video to show how these things work in FreeOrion.

kafka
Space Krill

#8 Post by kafka »

I just watched the gameplay video and feeled I simply have to tell you that I found it impressive, from what I've seen a very fine interface design. Thank you very much for the effort you're putting into this game, looking forward to its completion. :)

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#9 Post by pd »

Thanks for commenting, appreciated.

Benji
Space Floater

#10 Post by Benji »

pd wrote:
* I'm using a custom, simplified techtree. I'll post more about it later in content creation.
Hi pd,

I'm thinking of making a simplified tech tree myself, but if you have one it would save me a lot of work! If you're willing to share of course :)

thanks,

Benjamin