Introduction and some questions

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

DeathJesterUK
Space Krill

Introduction and some questions

#1 Post by DeathJesterUK »

First of all, I would like to say hello to you all. Im new to FreeOrion and havent had a big chance to mess around what could arguably be called 'Masters of Orion on Steroids.'

I love the look and feel of the game, but, I do have a few questions that confused me when looking through the documentation.

The first of these really is, is there any enemy AI for the AI Empires? If not no biggy.

The second is this. I know that there is no combat system in place for 3D battles at the moment, however, I am wondering if there is some sort of quick resolve in place. This of course would be entirely dependant on if the first question was a yes.

Anyway...good to be here, talk to you all later.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: Introduction and some questions

#2 Post by pd »

Welcome.
DeathJesterUK wrote: The first of these really is, is there any enemy AI for the AI Empires? If not no biggy.
There's AI, although, it might be possible that you need to install Python 2.6 for it to work properly. If you find an enemy system and notice all of the starting fleet is still there, it means the AI doesn't run as it should. If it works properly, the AI should fly around a little and even create colonies. However I'm not sure, how the recent changes impact the AI scripts, which haven't been updated for a while, I think. It's possible the stealth/detection system is a problem for the AI. I still need to thoroughly test 0.3.14 myself.
DeathJesterUK wrote: The second is this. I know that there is no combat system in place for 3D battles at the moment, however, I am wondering if there is some sort of quick resolve in place. This of course would be entirely dependant on if the first question was a yes.
Yes, there is a quick resolve system. Depending on the balance of power, battles can take even multiple turns now.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

pd wrote:There's AI, although, it might be possible that you need to install Python 2.6 for it to work properly. If you find an enemy system and notice all of the starting fleet is still there, it means the AI doesn't run as it should. If it works properly, the AI should fly around a little and even create colonies. However I'm not sure, how the recent changes impact the AI scripts, which haven't been updated for a while, I think. It's possible the stealth/detection system is a problem for the AI.
As far as I know, AIs should send ships to explore, colonize and build new ships in v0.3.14. If they aren't, then please locate AI_1.log in

C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\FreeOrion

(on Windows) and zip it and attach it to a post.

DeathJesterUK
Space Krill

#4 Post by DeathJesterUK »

Hi guys. Thanks for the warm welcome and keep up the good work.

Im using Linux Mint at the moment v9.0 which is the very newest...and Im a complete Linux Newbie...so do I need to use the package installer to install the python scripts I need? Also...I cant seem to get the Linux version of the game to run. For some reason though, I CAN get the windows one to runs with WINEDoor.

If you could run a Nix Newbie through how to get it working with the Linux version, that would be appreciated.

Quick edit: Its working now...I was being dumb. :P

However, I cant seem to get it to run in fullscreen mode and there isnt a option for it in the options menu...where do I find that?

Geoff the Medio

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Before installing Python, please post AI_1.log a I described in my previous post. It's not clear what version or OS you're running on, so the file should be create in the OS-appropriate directory discussed on this page.

For fullscreen mode, run "freeorion -f"

DeathJesterUK
Space Krill

#6 Post by DeathJesterUK »

Sure thing. I have run a game with it already, but, if I have any problems...Ill post up any files that you need. And thanks for the full screen tip.
Attachments
config.xml.tar.gz
(2.04 KiB) Downloaded 73 times

Geoff the Medio

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I need you to post AI_1.log, which is in the directory discussed on that page. You posted config.xml.

DeathJesterUK
Space Krill

#8 Post by DeathJesterUK »

Heh...sorry. Being thick.
Attachments
AI_1.log
(175.2 KiB) Downloaded 62 times

Geoff the Medio

#9 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Could you see if there are any files with name extensions .pyc within the freeorion directory? Probably they'd be located in freeorion/default/AI (wherever you have the main freeorion directory located).

If these files do exist, could you delete or move them elsewhere, and then rerun freeorion and post the resulting AI_1.log?

There are a bunch of error messages related to these files at the log you posted. These don't actually seem to be causing any problems though, a the rest of the AI log seems to show the situation being analyzed and orders for fleet movement to be issued, so you should be able to see AI fleets moving around the map, once you find them. Try starting a game with fewer stars, so you can find the AIs faster and within the range of your ships near the start of the game.

DeathJesterUK
Space Krill

#10 Post by DeathJesterUK »

Okay...I cant find the Python scripts to delete and I have checked in both places, the root folder and the .freeorion folder as well. No default folder and no python scripts.

edit: Scratch that...just found them. Tired and working through folders is bad. :)

Heres the new AI Log.

Now I must sleep. Talk to you tomorrow.
Attachments
AI_1.log
(9.76 KiB) Downloaded 62 times

Geoff the Medio

#11 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Did you delete the .py files along with the .pyc files? (You shouldn't have...)

DeathJesterUK
Space Krill

#12 Post by DeathJesterUK »

I didnt delete them no. I put them in a archive so that they couldn't be found by the game.

There were only PY files in that folder anyway. Should there have been others?

Geoff the Medio

#13 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I requested you delete .pyc (not .py) files, if they were present. I didn't know whether there would be any. You should not have deleted .py files, and should now restore them, if you want the AI to work.