v0.3.14 Test Installer

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

v0.3.14 Test Installer

#1 Post by Geoff the Medio »

In the hopes of putting out a Windows installer for v0.3.14 some time soon, I've made a test installer and put in on sourceforge.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/freeor ... %200.3.14/

I've never made one of these installers before, and did some moderately heavy editing of the existing installer script, and I'm not confident that everything worked. So, I'd like to request a few beta testers for the installer. Could you download it, install it, check if it runs, check if uninstalling works properly, and report back in this thread?

The Silent One
Graphics

Re: v0.3.14 Test Installer

#2 Post by The Silent One »

Works for me.
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#3 Post by pd »

Works for me as well.

When uninstalling, the directory where the config.xml is stored is not deleted though, not sure if this is intended. The folder where the game is installed to also remains, including the uninstaller.exe and a link to freeorion.org.

Are the recent changes to freeorion.ico already part of this installer? I didn't notice anything different. There's still a white background in the ico and the shortcut created by the installer is not using any icon.

I'm using Windows 7.

Geoff the Medio

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

pd wrote:When uninstalling, the directory where the config.xml is stored is not deleted though, not sure if this is intended.
I made no attempt to delete config.xml or its directory. I'm not sure if there's any way to get that directory's location using the uninstaller... The location is defined by the operating system and the user name, and there might actually be several of those folders for each user on a system running FreeOrion, though I haven't tested this.
The folder where the game is installed to also remains, including the uninstaller.exe and a link to freeorion.org.
That's a bug. I changed the directory deletion to be non-recursive, so that if the player installs into somwhere like c:\ or c:\Program Files instead of of c:\Program Files\FreeOrion and then tries to uninstall, the result can't be deleting of everything in the target directory. In order for the directory deletion to work now though, it needs to be empty, and I seem to have missed two files. I wonder if deleting the uninstaller while it's running will work, though... I suppose it must since uninstallers regularly delete themselves.
Are the recent changes to freeorion.ico already part of this installer?
No.

Geoff the Medio

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

FreeOrion-0.3.14-Setup_Alpha2.exe has now been uploaded. It should fix the uninstall issues with the previous version, and should have a proper icon for the executable file.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#6 Post by pd »

Works just fine now. The icon is looking good and the installation folder is been completely removed.

Geoff the Medio

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

FreeOrion-0.3.14-Setup_Alpha3.exe has now been uploaded. It should fix the issue where the installer left junk in the root directory of the hard drive when installing the Visual Studio redistrubutable files.

MikkoM
Space Dragon

#8 Post by MikkoM »

Geoff the Medio wrote:FreeOrion-0.3.14-Setup_Alpha3.exe has now been uploaded. It should fix the issue where the installer left junk in the root directory of the hard drive when installing the Visual Studio redistrubutable files.
Works fine for me (currently Windows XP).
pd wrote: The icon is looking good
Is there any way to increase the visibility of the icon? This new icon is currently the smallest icon that I have on my desktop, and to make matters worse I have a background image that has silver/grey in it. So the icon doesn`t really stand out.

xanoblivion
Space Floater

#9 Post by xanoblivion »

Running XP Professional SP3, it has worked fine for me. Great stuff Geoff.