Thousand Parsec

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

mithro
Space Floater

Thousand Parsec

#1 Post by mithro »

Hi!

I'm currently the project leader for a game called "Thousand Parsec" (which lives over at http://www.thousandparsec.net). This is a very similar game (in style/genre) to your FreeOrion, however we appear to have different goals.

Our project is alot smaller then this project (having only two active developers), however I was thinking that we could pool some of our resources (like Art and maybe code).

Other things like linking to each other would also be a good idea.

What do you think?

Mithro
---
http://www.thousandparsec.net/ - A journey of a thousand parsec starts with a single step

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#2 Post by Aquitaine »

The structure of this project is such that everyone is welcome to participate, but we are not currently looking to formally merge with any other active project. I believe our art assets are released under a Creative Commons license, so you are welcome to them, and of course we would welcome any contributions that you could make in return.

-Aq
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

mithro
Space Floater

#3 Post by mithro »

Wasn't really offering a merging or anything like that :)

As I mentioned our goals are different enough so that I think both projects should exist. However as we both have common themes sharing stuff seems like a good idea :)

We also have an open attitude to development, anyone can join in - however we have yet to have many offers :(

I'll put a link up on my webpage to you, would you return the favour?

Thanks

Mithro
---
http://www.thousandparsec.net/ - A journey of a thousand parsec starts with a single step

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#4 Post by Aquitaine »

Many of the links on your site don't work; the documentation pages don't work; perhaps when there's more to show? We're also not too keen on advertising ourselves just yet. I do appreciate the offer, but the thing about press is that people tend to take one look at you and then never come back, so if you're not ready for that one look, you don't necessarily want the press. We're not ready yet, and I'm not sure you are either, so let's do this a little ways down the road. :)

-Aq
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

mithro
Space Floater

#5 Post by mithro »

All the links on our website seem to work for me and the other main developer. Could you please post any broken links you find.

I can tell you that we arn't going to give you a huge amount of press or anything like that :) I get about 10-40 new visitors per month max.

I've worked in a few open source projects before and the projects which "make it" have ties with other projects (even if those other projects fail). It helps to broaden the community and gives you a better perspective on how you are doing. It also lets you discover mistakes that you might be making.

I'm not saying lets all jump into the sack together, I'm suggesting that we should start building bridges and become friends. The worst that can happen is that you have one more link on your website which doesn't go anywhere. I think however, we will all meet some nice people and hopefully get atleast one game out of the two projects (if not two!). :)

Journier
Krill Swarm

#6 Post by Journier »

.... All the links on there site work just fine :)

The concept of the game is very fun sounding, Scaling a universe the the amount of power your computer has. Sounds very fun indeed. But with only 2 programmers? this game will take quite a few years i would think :)

Ill be following it though great idea's can come out to be great games :)

mithro
Space Floater

#7 Post by mithro »

We hope not to stay at 2 programmers for ever! :) Plus Stars! was created by mostly one programmer.

The best way to find out our progress is to jump on IRC and chat to us!

irc://irc.worldforge.org/#tp

We can use all the help we can get.
---