Any of you familiar with HOI ?

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

SgtCycle
Krill Swarm

Any of you familiar with HOI ?

#1 Post by SgtCycle »

Just wondering,

Any of you guys familiar with HOI; Heart of Iron?

I'd like to have your comments and feedback on the game. I know it's very different from the MoO 4X genre, but still.

For my part, I think it's really good and I've been playing it on a semi-regular basis since it came out.

The good things:
- open architecture. Lots of text file to edit for all those modders out there.
- decent AI. Then again, the game offers good opposition to the human player not just because of the AI, but other factor like tech advantage, unit count advantage, etc... Some could say the AI cheats (because it has advantages you don't), but I was always an advocate of cheating AI, as long as it makes my gaming experience more enjoyable.
- simple ressource system. You have very few ressource to manage
- very nice research tree. IMO, the best tech tree ever. Why? Because you can have the whole tech picture in one simple text screen. You want to build advanced medium tank? Take a look at the prerequesites, and work you way up the tech tree and you'll know in no time the tech you need to research to get there.

The bad:
- unclear how combats really works. The mechanics have changed a lot since 1.0 that very few player actually know what's implemented and what's not. For instance, how does surprise, crossing river, invasion, night fighting, weather, etc... really affect combat. We all have some ideas, but it's an educated guest at best.
- naval AI is bad. Really. Don't understand why the land AI is so good and the naval AI isn't. Probably due to lack of borders and semi-static fronts.
- replay value could really be better if there was more than 3 scenarios to work with. Realistically, there ain't that many ways to win as Germany. Or maybe I've been playing way too many games ;)
- convoy system should be more streamlined/automated. Play as UK, you'll see what I mean
- strategic bombing not a viable strategy because it involves too much micromanagement. Impossible to experience a battle of britain scenario, unless you play human vs human.

Interestingly, I didn't like their combat system at the beginning, but it grew on me with time and I actually like the fact that I don't directly manage the combat. When playing USA, it would be a nightmare if you'd have to intervene in all combats: naval combat vs Japan, island invasion vs Japan, land combat in China/Indochina, land combat in North Africa/Europe, air combat vs Germany in northern Europe, and maybe U-boat/naval combat in the Atlantic. All of this could be happening on a regular basis with USA.

My 2 cents
------------------------------------
Things are not as they seem,
nor are they otherwise
------------------------------------

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#2 Post by Aquitaine »

I'm quite familiar with HoI. It comes out of Paradox's Europa Universalis series, which many of us have indicated we'd like to influence FO. Our tech tree, actually, is modeled on HoI's (with a few significant differences, but it's closer to HoI's than any other MOO model)
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!