Underfunded Projects...?

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

Underfunded Projects...?

#1 Post by Bigjoe5 »

I'm a bit dubious to post this on SourceForge, since I wouldn't know whether to put it as a bug tracker or a feature request. Furthermore, it's so obvious that I rather doubt nobody's noticed it. However, since it is there, in the latest version and I haven't seen any references to it, I might as well write about it:

In the research and production screen, the "Underfunded Projects" thing states not the number of underfunded projects, or the amount by which the projects are underfunded, either of which would be useful, but the amount which I am spending on underfunded projects, which seems quite useless. Is there a good reason for this?
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Underfunded Projects...?

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Bigjoe5 wrote:In the research and production screen, the "Underfunded Projects" thing states not the number of underfunded projects, or the amount by which the projects are underfunded, either of which would be useful, but the amount which I am spending on underfunded projects, which seems quite useless. Is there a good reason for this?
Originally there was universal sharing of all resources produced at planets, including industry points and minerals, so that the available PP for the empire was equal everywhere. In this situation, there was only ever one underfunded project: either there was enough PP to fully fund everything, or there wasn't enough PP and one project got some PP but not enough to reach its max PP per turn limit (or there was exactly enough PP to fund less than all the projects on the queue, but this is highly unlikely given the precision of double precision floating point numbers). So, there was no need to indicate how many projects were partly funded... it was only ever one such project. It was useful to show how much PP that project was receiving though, as at the time, there was no +X.XX PP indicator on the items on the queue (which I've since added). The +X.XX PP indicator does make the up-top "underfunded project" PP allocation indicator fairly useless, though.

Really the production summary needs to be updated to deal with resources sharing limits that exist now, such as showing how much PP is available at the currently selected planet, rather than the whole empire. Likely this could be broken down into stockpile accessible, production at accessible planets, allocation at accessible planets, and available PP this turn here (and all accessible planets).