Looking for full time open source volunteering.

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

muxec
Space Kraken

Looking for full time open source volunteering.

#1 Post by muxec »

Hello. I started coding hello-worlds long long time ago yet only recently I started to learn it seriously. I have some knowledge of algorithms and I'm capable of actually writing the code yet I have no experience in serious projects, which means I'm bad at tools (using non-trivial IDE functions) I have almost no experience at building and packaging too, almost never used Revision Control Systems :(. Only theoretical knowledge of unit testing as well...

With M.Sc. finally obtained and no chance to get a real job I want to do some full-time volunteering in an open source to gain experience with larger projects and tools. Yet I will be a liability for the project for some time so I want a project with people enthusiastic enough to help me become useful ("google this" helps a lot when you did not know 'this" before). :( I know it sounds bad. :(

I checked some OSS projects in C++ (freeorion code as well) and realized that I can understand the code and probably even contribute somewhere. Yet tools is my big problem.

I would also be interested in learning .NET languages or Python yet I have no prior experience with it. Also .Net is not very OSS friendly.

I want a project near v0.5-0.6 with much to be done yet ability to see the effect of the patches, and a project that does not require too much domain specific knowledge.

Any suggestions as for the project I should look closely at? Any suggestions ("google this" form is welcome) as for mastering tools?

OndrejR
Space Dragon

Re: Looking for full time open source volunteering.

#2 Post by OndrejR »

muxec wrote:Hello. I started coding hello-worlds long long time ago yet only recently I started to learn it seriously. I have some knowledge of algorithms and I'm capable of actually writing the code yet I have no experience in serious projects, which means I'm bad at tools (using non-trivial IDE functions) I have almost no experience at building and packaging too, almost never used Revision Control Systems :(. Only theoretical knowledge of unit testing as well...
If you want contribute to FreeOrion, look at Programming Work page. If you have Windows, then Visual Studio with FreeOrion project can be found at SourceForge. Look at this.

If you have Linux, then there it is open source IDE - Eclipse. Look at this. At bottom there is guide how to compile FreeOrion with Eclipse IDE.

Eclipse can be also used on Windows, but first you need to setup up FreeOrion to compile with Scons and then compile FreeOrion with Eclipse. But there will be some differencies in paths in compare with Linux, but process is the same.

muxec
Space Kraken

#3 Post by muxec »

I tried using Eclipse for C++ (when I played with Orge or Crystalspace) and it felt a little slow. I'd like to know what IDEs are used by existing FO contributors.

Is the compiling guide on wiki up to date?

Any suggestions on working efficiently with RCS/diff? Never done it before except for CVS hello world. :( As usual links are good, links to screencasts - even better. :)

OndrejR
Space Dragon

#4 Post by OndrejR »

muxec wrote:I tried using Eclipse for C++ (when I played with Orge or Crystalspace) and it felt a little slow. I'd like to know what IDEs are used by existing FO contributors.

Is the compiling guide on wiki up to date?

Any suggestions on working efficiently with RCS/diff? Never done it before except for CVS hello world. :( As usual links are good, links to screencasts - even better. :)
In Eclipse to make it faster it is required to change default c++ indexer. I use Eclipse with every language I can and there aren't many comparable open source IDE. Guide is up to date. Eclipse has graphic diff and integrated subversion.