General gameplay question in v.0.3.13

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: General gameplay question in v.0.3.13

#16 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Kryxx wrote:In regards to the python program, I followed the link above to the python thingie, and I tried DLing all of them, and everyone popped up an 'incompatible version' window when I ran them. Is there a main program I have to have first before DLing the links above?
The python installers should be all you need. I'm not sure how they've got their website set up, but based on Acuaricornio's post, the 2.5.4 might be specific to particular versions of Windows. Seems odd to me, but who knows. Anyway, try the .msi installers from the Python 2.5 page instead of the 2.5.4 page:

http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.5/

Kryxx
Space Floater

#17 Post by Kryxx »

I did just as you said, and I got the 2.5 installer and it works just fine, so its obviously not a problem with MSI, however both the amd64 link and the ia64 link tell me "This installation package is not supported by this processor type. Contact your product vendor." when I run them. My processor type is most definately a dualcore amd, I just built it a year ago and I even have the box in my closet, so I know I should be using the amd one, but it tells me the aforementioned error.

Good news, with just the basic 2.5 python installed, I apparently dont need to download anything else to make it work for my machine, cause I just ran a test game with 20 AI's, and I got attacked first thing, so apparently just the basic python thingie was all I needed afterall and not a particualr new thing. Perhaps its my own lack of scripting knowledge that gave me a roadblock in this issue, sorry if I wasted your time. But all seems to work fine now lets hope it stays that way.

For future reference, even though I have amd for my pc, I downloaded 2.5.4 for x86, and it made the AI work properly. It is the first of the three links for windows users on this page.

http://python.org/download/releases/2.5.4/

Thanks again for helping me, I am happy to help test in any way I can and give good feedback as payment for my annoying problems ^^

Acuaricornio
Krill Swarm

#18 Post by Acuaricornio »

Hey dev team,

I came back to this game to see the new updates and its looking pretty good. I also noticed the AI is still bugged as before, probably a python issue. Do you know which Python update is most compatible now, particularly for Vista? Python v2.5, which fixed it before in v.3.13, seems obsolete with the new upgrades. Many thanks.

Geoff the Medio

#19 Post by Geoff the Medio »

FreeOrion v0.3.14 switch to Python 2.6, so you'll want to install the latest iteration of that, which is currently 2.6.5.

http://python.org/download/releases/2.6.5/

I did some testing on my machine, by renaming my Python 2.6 directory, and was able to replicate some of the Python errors in the posted log files. It seems that the Python DLL doesn't actually include all the Python functionality, and various Python library files are needed separately.

Why we don't get many more problems from this, I'm not sure...

Edit: Before you download and install Python 2.6, could you instead put this zip file (still zipped) into your main FreeOrion directory (eg. C:\Program Files\FreeOrion\ ) and try a game with a few AIs, and post the AI_?.log files after playing a few turns?
Attachments
python26.zip
All Python 2.6.5 "Compiled Python Files" from Lib directory.
(110.29 KiB) Downloaded 106 times

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#20 Post by pd »

Interesting, those files enabled AI's for me, without having to install Python.

Geoff the Medio

#21 Post by Geoff the Medio »

pd wrote:Interesting, those files enabled AI's for me, without having to install Python.
Not that interesting; it's what I expected would happen.

It should be "that file", though... it's not necessary to unzip anything; just putting python26.zip in the FreeOrion directory should suffice.

Acuaricornio
Krill Swarm

#22 Post by Acuaricornio »

Similar to pd, I copied the zipped python 2.6 and it seemingly resolved the AI issue. I guess this was what was expected, though why it resolves the issue is a mystery of sorts.

I'm trying to find the .log files to upload but can't, which means I must not be searching correctly. Would they be under the AI folder in the main program directory? I can't recall if the first time I uploaded the .log files where I found them, sadly.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#23 Post by pd »

Ha, thats even better, thanks.

I didn't have working AI's since changing to Windows 7(and not having python installed), so this is definitely interesting to me :) What's weird is, that AI players can colonize terran planets, while I can't, as reported via email.
Acuaricornio wrote: Would they be under the AI folder in the main program directory?
They are in C:\Users\%USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\FreeOrion

Acuaricornio
Krill Swarm

#24 Post by Acuaricornio »

Thanks pd. These ought to be the files. Let me know otherwise.
Attachments
AI_logs 4-6-10.zip
(25.97 KiB) Downloaded 73 times

Geoff the Medio

#25 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Acuaricornio wrote:...why it resolves the issue is a mystery of sorts.
It's not really a mystery...

One of the locations that the FreeOrion AI program looks for Python library files is in the FreeOrion root directory. Python automatically looks in zip files with appropriate names for the Python version, which is python26.zip in this case. So, I put all the compiled Python library files that come with a Python 2.6.5 installation into that zip file and told you where to put it, and Python running within the FreeOrion AI program found it, without needing to install Python as a separate package. This resolve the AI errors that were arising due to missing library files, which I wasn't previously aware were needed separately from the Python DLL file.