Hi all, back again.

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

xanoblivion
Space Floater

Hi all, back again.

#1 Post by xanoblivion »

Some of you may not remember me, because I haven't posted in a long time, I started contributing ideas toward sound files, and am back to check out how everything is panning out. I am excited about the progress of the game thus far and have just downloaded it to try it out later tonight.

Since I last posted, I have purchased a desktop package for $4,100, and on it I got a free program called BRYCE and DAZ if any of you are familiar with it.

If you aren't, the program is for 3D design and animation. Some game companies use it to make their games, and I've been mucking around with it.

I have an idea to pitch toward this project, however it depends if people enjoyed the immersity of it in MOO2.. Being able to view the inside of the planets, to build/destroy buildings, or just check out the stats of the inhabitants once colinised/developed. I like it because this way because it's not overwhelming like the mess that was MOO3's interface, and it gives an eyecandy view window a little piece of your empire.

Here is what I'm talking about:

I've been thinking about mucking around with this kinda thing within BRYCE and DAZ to create a 3D landscape version, which could include some unique UI features to control certain things of 'x' planet.

Anyway, gotta go. Post in here again soon. Leave some replies =)

Josh
Graphics

Re: Hi all, back again.

#2 Post by Josh »

A while back, there were some similar looking planetary backgrounds in the art folder for just this purpose.

The idea was discarded.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#3 Post by pd »

Planetary management has been abstracted into the focus selections to avoid micromanagement. That's all you really need to do to with them. Buildings - for the lack of a better name - aren't buildings either, but rather rare, huge facilities/projects - like wonders. Many planet's wont have one.
So, there really is no need to go down to a planetary level.

xanoblivion
Space Floater

#4 Post by xanoblivion »

Hi,

Thanks for the replies, and I can see where you are both coming from, and thanks for the elaborated reply Pd, it helped explain the point better which is appreciated. I'm just going to give my thoughts currently after playing the 0.3.13 build, and it explains the positives, and the negatives, so please don't take it personally with what I need to be honest about here.

After playing the game itself, I'll give some feedback to point out some things that might need to be fixed in it, and maybe some areas of improvement. Off the top of my head:

-One of the menus in Options look like it has a spelling error.
-Give the mouse-over tooltips a delay option or just a delay while the player scrolls over techs, and or Options in the Menu.
-Perhaps play around with, and give the primary, secondary, and tertairy tree options of research in the Tech menu a change to distinguish what matches with what instead of using the messy arrow system that links each tech level to each. For example, something like this (Just remember I'm not talking about changing the FO Tech screen layout at all, just the tech order icon border brightness of primary tech option until last tech option in the category from brightest to darkest depending on progression into the tech tree):

Back into my initial rant, the reason I have suggested my initial planetary view idea I've talked about is that a lot of people I know who have played the series (or reviewed in popular gaming magazines about the MOO series, and other similar games) enjoy some sense of 'being there' to avoid t.m.i (too much information). It helps to cater to a wider audience, and new players also, as it is the norm in successful titles (Not talking only about big selling titles here, we're also talking success in terms of quality gameplay) to do this kind of thing, and it especially caters for the more visual minded MOO2 (enjoyed) players who enjoy fascinating about 'whats out there'. Think of it this way, what would Star Trek, or your favourite Sci Fi series be like to you if you watched the episodes without the elements that Space-Sci Fi needs to be Space-Sci Fi? That's up to you to answer.

Lets think about the beginner players who haven't played a good strategy and have played very imaginative games for their gaming life, lets say they are told by their friends (or who it may be) to try out a good game and are told to play FreeOrion over MOO2 because its more modern. What do you do? Do you give them the dated (but excellent) MOO2, or give them FreeOrion? Well it comes down to choice I suppose. I'd rather hand them FreeOrion because it's working out to be a well built potentially awesome game to be better than the rest in it's sub-genre, and has more to do than MOO2 does.

I do have to be honest though, beside FO being a game to my liking, it does on the other hand have it's negatives, eg too much of a clunky, generic interface and not enough simplicity (even though its only in 0.3.13) so it's far from done yet, I'm just hoping it doesn't stay this way. We can't just sit and cross our fingers that everyone plays a game like you do, or I do, or a friend from your MSN/AIM list does, or some guy at my university I, or you know does. This team altogether (Who I'm sure everyone puts in the effort) needs to think outside the box a little more, and accommodate for a wider audience in order to enjoy the full product that you've all worked hard over the past 4 years (and more) to make. Don't just blow it!

Rather than being closed minded here to only make a game for those of us who just enjoy the hardcore statistic side of management, the project should open it up a bit to give people visually motivated encouragement to try this out instead of being alienated from it. I have downloaded the Sourceforge setup, and copied the important info, a copy of MOO2, and given them to 15 people that I know, who all have different gaming tastes, and 12 of them have said that FO is way too tmi, so the interface needs to be worked on, it needs a little more unique identity.

Like I've said earlier, perhaps giving a more visual planetary experience in some way may fix this (Like MOO1 and 2 did), to get people fascinated from a lore and immersion point of view by letting them think about what other worlds might look like, see how alien cultures grow as they build up an empire, what those powerful aliens they are playing look like, let the empire become alive, instead of having them look at rotating planets on the right of the screen, and a whole ton of generic menus to flick through with just icons and numbers, and large blocks of text, because this can get confusing and boring quickly. It can put off people to turn a game off within a few minutes, and uninstall it.

I'd prefer my friends to not think that this game "sucks" when I'd like to have a LAN battle, either at home, or at a few LAN Cafes I go to by playing FO. I'd rather them praise the game in all of its glory that it could deserve because I'm a MOO fan.

It's all up to you guys who work on the graphical side know what ends up being the final product, just heed what I have told you, and look into it, and open it up a little more to give it some life, because it does look bland right now.

To the rest of you who contribute toward this project, I'd just like to say that from my experience playing games (and you and I all know here) that you don't need a professional budget to create a quality title, look at how FO is going so far! All of us who contribute toward creating games through community groups know this - It takes skill, knowledge of programming codes and how to make a good game in 'x' genre, and most importantly effort to exceed our boundaries. Things are coming along good, but keep those creative (but sensible) juices flowing, and lets create a title that becomes a long term hobby, and favourite, for MOO veterans, and to make it more user friendly for years to come.

-Xan.
Last edited by xanoblivion on Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

xanoblivion wrote:-One of the menus in Options look like it has a spelling error.
Specifically?
-Give the mouse-over tooltips a delay option or just a delay while the player scrolls over techs, and or Options in the Menu.
In the Options UI tab there is a tooltip delay setting.

The BlackHole
Space Krill

#6 Post by The BlackHole »

wait sorry if I'm butting in but you guys already have version 0.4.13 out? if so please give me a link for I cannot find one on any the articles or announcements, sorry if this is just a mistake.

General_Zaber
Space Kraken

#7 Post by General_Zaber »

I've been wrong before, but i think he means 0.3.13 sadly. :cry:
The enemy is retreating! As always, there is no cuteness about them. Dammit

xanoblivion
Space Floater

#8 Post by xanoblivion »

First and most importantly, Geoff, here is a screenshot of the spelling error circled in red, it is only in the menu, not the tooltip.

Also, thanks for pointing out the delay control for tooltips in Options, much appreciated.

Now, generally, onto the tech tree idea, I've taken a screenshot, to show what I mean. Some of you may be familiar with this kinda thing in other games, it helps to limit the confusion a bit for some people. I have highlighted the most basic tree that is in a straight line to demonstrate what I mean.

When you start researching a certain tech, it leads to another, and then another etc. Lets say, once the 1st (Primary) in the linked group of techs is started, it highlights up all linked techs, making "2ndary" tech darker than "Primary", and "Tertiary" darker than "2ndary" etc. If there is a 4th tech in the group, the border remains uncoloured, and looks like normal (As shown), and once one is completed (Lets say the "Primary") then the "Secondary" tech becomes the brightest, the "Tertiary" becomes the 2nd brightest, and the 4th becomes 3rd brightest etc.

I know the above will make perfect sense for many, but for some who read this I'm elaborating for you, so I hope you can understand what I mean.
The BlackHole: wait sorry if I'm butting in but you guys already have version 0.4.13 out? if so please give me a link for I cannot find one on any the articles or announcements, sorry if this is just a mistake.
I did mean 0.3.13, sorry for the confusion everyone. Typed those posts while at work and wasn't thinking, it just popped up in my head for some reason. I guess it's just wishful thinking :oops:

Kryxx
Space Floater

#9 Post by Kryxx »

Not to sound mean, and I am new to these forums, but you can do exactly what you're talking about with the option menu. You can change the color and brightness of almost every type of tab, window, and research tech in the option menu. I made all my thingies pink green and blue so I know you can do it ^^

Just look through the option menu, my roommate and I think that the amazing UI and UI options are the single strongest thing in freeorion right now. The ease of use and beautifully morphic UI truely is legendary, you should take a while to look through the option menu, you'll be suprised with all you can do with it.