An article every game designer needs to read (including you)

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

leiavoia
Space Kraken

An article every game designer needs to read (including you)

#1 Post by leiavoia »

an absolutely wonderfull article. a bit dated, but everything still applies. comes with recommendations from alan emrich as well. i think i've brought it up before, but no harm in mentioning it again:

http://www.costik.com/nowords.html

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#2 Post by Impaler »

Nice Artical, I have read it my self some time ago and its quite true, though for the most part everyone here has an excelent idea of what a game is, most of us may have disagrements on what would make a good game (which is odd considering how much agreement exists on the merits of previous existing comercial games).

I also would like to call atention to the final note of the article which touches on the consept of "The game as Art", I fully agree with this idea, a great game is truely an art form, most especialy in the "polish" as they say, its the way a game comes together like a harmonius sympony all its parts working together seamlessly as if it was one brillient Eureaka! This is ofcorse an illusion all good games are the result of long painstaking evolutionary steps and stumbles but the true art comes from hiding that fact as much as possible (conversly horible games show this process in the raw).
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#3 Post by Daveybaby »

Excellent article. Almost like a checklist of things to bear in mind when designing a game.

tsev
Space Kraken

#4 Post by tsev »

I've read that article before, in fact I would have mentioned it had I remembered the name of it. Excellent article.
FreeOrion Programmer