UI can be improved

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: UI can be improved

#16 Post by eleazar »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
eleazar wrote:I think most would agree that options to configure your keyboard and mouse controls would be good to have anyway--- if not a current priority.
I had a discussion with tzlaine about making hotkeys (keyboard commands) configurable, and I think we (or he) determined a good way to do it. Making mouse commands configurable is a bit more complicated though... In some cases, like left-click-hold-drag-release for drag-dropping is more or less hard-coded. In other cases, the effect of clicking could be made configurable fairly easily. In still others, it could be made configurable with moderate but not extremely tricky means.

Likely left-click to activate some GUI widgets will have to remain hard-coded... Which may not be that bad, since otherwise you could conceivably set a config setting so that you couldn't click on anything, which would make using a click-assignment GUI to fix it impossible.
I should have been more specific.

Left-click for buttons or left-click-hold-drag for moving items around is standard in and out of games, and there would probably be minimal utility in making that configurable.

But the different functions of left and right in the galaxy and battle maps (and by extension the tech tree since it also can be panned) are IMO where players will have different ingrained mouse-use habits.

Kryxx
Space Floater

Re: UI can be improved

#17 Post by Kryxx »

I agree with Eleazar on that. No real need to alter the leftclickdrag thing for general map movements and selections, all computer users do the same click and drag on all system types. The only mouse/UI changes that I felt myself wanting were the ability to marco things on the tech menu, like having m3 button or my extra side mouse buttons be set to show/hide certain types of techs, or to 'tag' a number of techs from different groups to only look at a few at a time, instead of entire groups at a time. I hope this helps with the further excellence of the amazing UI of FO.