New arrival

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

MrV
Space Floater

New arrival

#1 Post by MrV »

Brief intro:
Norwegian graphics designer, never worked on games before but eager to try something new; also I've worked on various UI interfaces as well as all sorts of other design related work. So, was hoping you could use someone like me aboard your project.
Main motivations for wanting to help out on FO would be that I get extended periods of uncomfortably much spare time now and again, plus the fact that MoO, HoI, Alpha Centauri and the rest of the games mentioned around the forums as sources for inspirations are pretty much all amongst my favourites.
So far I've surfed through the forums and checked out all the must-read threads, the roadmaps and so on, so no playtesting yet; but I've got a few ideas for icons and such (which looked like what was a priority now). I could still use being pointed in some direction, though.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: New arrival

#2 Post by pd »

Welcome!

Based on your post I assume that you have already read the Guidelines to Contributing in the graphics board? In this case you know about the Graphics Work page, that lists everything we need now or in near future. There is quite a variety of tasks and I hope you'll find something interesting. If there are any questions, feel free to PM me.

MrV
Space Floater

#3 Post by MrV »

Seen those, and after playtesting a bit I think I'll start working on building icons pretty soon-ish. Also, regarding the work page - this page here has a lot of tech icons listed, are those final? If not, should I perhaps discuss them in the related thread on here? I noticed the thread I'm thinking of has a lot less icons in it, and wondered which ones of those I should be looking to. Then there's the scrapyard, which imho contained a lot of very useable material.

Sorry about the clusterbombing you with questions, by the way :wink:

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by pd »

MrV wrote:Seen those, and after playtesting a bit I think I'll start working on building icons pretty soon-ish
That's good to hear. I'll set up a wiki page and forum thread tomorrow. There has been some discussion lately about the style of the building icons, that I'll incorporate.
Also, regarding the work page - this page here has a lot of tech icons listed, are those final? If not, should I perhaps discuss them in the related thread on here?
Yes sure, that's what the thread is for. However, commenting or discussing is probably not going anywhere(at least not very far). Instead, if you think you can do something better, just do it. Nothing is final, really. The primary focus should still be on finishing missing icons though.
I noticed the thread I'm thinking of has a lot less icons in it, and wondered which ones of those I should be looking to.
The icons are quite spread in this thread and many of Obiwan's icons are no longer online. But that's not a problem, since all of them have been commited and can be found in SVN(or the wiki page). I suggest, starting with the ones that are marked with a red cross :)

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#5 Post by eleazar »

MrV wrote:Seen those, and after playtesting a bit I think I'll start working on building icons pretty soon-ish. Also, regarding the work page - this page here has a lot of tech icons listed, are those final? If not, should I perhaps discuss them in the related thread on here? I noticed the thread I'm thinking of has a lot less icons in it, and wondered which ones of those I should be looking to. Then there's the scrapyard, which imho contained a lot of very useable material.

Sorry about the clusterbombing you with questions, by the way :wink:
Welcome.

Questions are good, we realize this is a large and somewhat complex project.
The like above is unfortunately quite out of date. I believe you'll find more recent info here. Also you can download the trunk to see all the most recent icons/graphics, even if you don't know how to compile it: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... p_id=75752

P.S. out of curiosity, do you have an online portfolio?

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#6 Post by pd »

eleazar wrote:The link above is unfortunately quite out of date. I believe you'll find more recent info here.
The wiki page is as up to date as it gets. The images link directly to SVN. There are only a hand full of icons, that still need approval and therefore haven't been committed.

MrV
Space Floater

#7 Post by MrV »

Superb, and thank you!

As for tech icons, I was just a bit bothered that some of them are very much a little too detailed, and not very consistent with the style in the rest. I have a few ideas for those, and will upload them to the photobucket account mentioned somewhere when I get them down on "paper".

Online portfolio: Sadly not anymore, and I propably won't make a new one unless I decide to go looking for a new job - which isn't likely to happen any time soon :)

Also: !!! The icon thread was 23 pages long. I thought it was just one. Oh, and I'll be looking for all things completed on the wiki, as this "SVN", anything Linux-based, and/or compiling = greek to me.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#8 Post by eleazar »

MrV wrote:Oh, and I'll be looking for all things completed on the wiki, as this "SVN", anything Linux-based, and/or compiling = greek to me.
You can use SVN via a free GUI client. TortiseSVN if you use windows: http://tortoisesvn.net/downloads

Trilarion
Krill Swarm

#9 Post by Trilarion »

eleazar wrote:
MrV wrote:Oh, and I'll be looking for all things completed on the wiki, as this "SVN", anything Linux-based, and/or compiling = greek to me.
You can use SVN via a free GUI client. TortiseSVN if you use windows: http://tortoisesvn.net/downloads
MrV if you use windows, I can show you by a small series of screenshots what to do to obtain the actual data. Its really powerful and you only need two commands: 'update' for getting what others have done, and 'commit' for sending your changes.

Josh
Graphics

#10 Post by Josh »

Welcome! The graphics section can always use an extra graphics designer ;)

Also, in my sig, I leave a few links for newcomers to follow. They lead to places that are helpful to know about, but less obvious by just browsing the forums. Eleazar, MikkoM and others do this too, so Carpe Diem.

Trilarion
Krill Swarm

#11 Post by Trilarion »

Want to introduce me too:
I'm a scientific programmer living in germany spending most of the time developing numerical algorithms with Matlab, C++ or Java however not using the 'great concepts' of object-oriented programming so excessively. :)
However I remember how I spent countless hours with MoO1/2 which was great. In the Ogre3D forum I learned about freeorion and was impressed by the quality of the artwork. The design here is really great. Here, again I was impressed by the roadmap and the whole structure. So far I managed to compile the game but there are so many questions in my mind, I don't really know where to start. Think I will read a bit more here before anything specific comes to me.

Greetings
Jan

Josh
Graphics

#12 Post by Josh »

A warm welcome to you to then :)

It's always a wonder to me how people manage to find us :P

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#13 Post by pd »

Yes, willkommen. So the ogre thread was worth the effort at last :)