final stats

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Moriarty
Dyson Forest
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

final stats

#1 Post by Moriarty »

Out of curiosity, what are the final 'stats' of FreeOrion planned to be?

i.e.
file-size (installed)
download size.
minimum comp specs
recommend comp specs
etc etc

I just read a post stating it's presently 30+ megs installed. And it's barely 1/10th completed... So It seems to be heading for a very large install...

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#2 Post by Tyreth »

It's 30Mb's because it includes all the debugging info, a final build will be much smaller (though how small I don't know).

We haven't determined any of those things, which while they may be beneficial to keep in mind a little, I think we're basically aiming for whatever hardware we as programmers are currently running.

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#3 Post by Aquitaine »

A lot of that will be decided when we do space combat, since that's where the graphic-intensive stuff could be. Things like how many ships in a single battle.

I suspect we'll probably aim high, because it'll take us a while between when we answer those questions and when we release the product.
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

Nightfish
FreeOrion Designer / Space Monster

#4 Post by Nightfish »

I think we should focus on creating a good game and only on that. Never mind the size of the download. I dare to assume we'd all be more happy with a great game that is 200 megs big than with a mediocre game that is only 5 megs big.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#5 Post by Zanzibar »

Also, if the license is right... I'm sure someone will burn it to CD and distribute it for a small fee (so you don't have to d/l it). In fact, I might do it... say for $10?? Or is that too high?

Moriarty
Dyson Forest
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

#6 Post by Moriarty »

Hmm, well noting Tyreths' response let's try this a different way then:
What are the specs for the programmers computers? :)

Another factor relating to final size will be the Sound FX/music. Assuming u use MP3, it's about 1mb per min.

Zanzibar: Cost would have to include shipping if it was $10. International shipping too.

Anyhow, i was only wondering if you had any 'aimed for' stats. As it stands the answer seems to be a resolute "No". :)

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#7 Post by Tyreth »

Zanzibar wrote:Also, if the license is right... I'm sure someone will burn it to CD and distribute it for a small fee (so you don't have to d/l it). In fact, I might do it... say for $10?? Or is that too high?
With our license you can charge whatever you want to burn and sell it. However, you have to provide the source code with it, and you must give the same rights to the person you give it to. So if they want they can sell it to others too :) So you can charge whatever people are willing to pay, given the fact that they can do the same thing once they have it, and that we'll be making it a free download from our website.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#8 Post by Zanzibar »

Well, I kinda figured that... was just chargin' for my time and the cost of the CD and jewel cases (oh, and the $10 wouldn't include shipping). Of course I would include the source code, and the license!! I'm not that silly :)

Nightfish

#9 Post by Nightfish »

First of all this is probably *very* premature as we won't have V1.0 read for a very long time. (I think)

Anyways: I think if we sold this we should charge only for the CD and shipping. And not anything more than that. What would we do with the extra money? Divide it up among all the current members? Or among everyone who ever worked with us? Donate it to charity?

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#10 Post by Aquitaine »

This is entirely premature, as Nightfish pointed out.

We would have to set up some kind of deal with a publisher to ship them, and the publisher would handle payment. It would be exceedingly difficult to divvy up any sort of cash among us and I would rather not even think about trying to do that. Let's deal with the pitfalls of being big and popular once we're big and popular. :)
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#11 Post by Zanzibar »

How about using the profits from the buyable distro to start a gaming company and make more cool games along this concept?? Maybe also port the game to all major consoles?? *shrug* Anyhow, if you guys ever set up a company... let me know!! I have some rather... interesting qualifications, and would be much interested in such a venture :)

Bastian-Bux
Creative Contributor

#12 Post by Bastian-Bux »

I would suggest the name:

Phreaks

for this company. ;)

Count me in :twisted:

Nightfish

#13 Post by Nightfish »

Why not make it Phr34ks while you're at it? :roll: