Playtesting

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Nightcaste
Space Krill

Playtesting

#1 Post by Nightcaste »

I think I have misjudged how far along this project is. When I first downloaded it (a few days ago) I thought it was pretty much done. After messing around a little bit, I have come to realize that FO is barely off the ground. Not that this is a bad thing, in fact, I really like what I've seen so far.

The thing that has prompted me to post is that there are some strange things happening when I finish researching a given tech, and I would like to know if it would be helpful for me to post these events for the developers to review. If so, what information would you need me to provide? Are there 'crash logs' etc. that I could send you?

Please let me know because this looks like a really cool game and I would really like to help out, but I'm worthless when it comes to programming. I could build you a computer to run it on, but coding? HAHA Funny!

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Playtesting

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

If the tech is "Theoretical Prerequisite" and the strange things are specials appearing on some of your planets and resulting drops in population, this is not a bug and has been discussed a few times before:

http://freeorion.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1864

If it's something else, then yes, please post about it.

Nightcaste
Space Krill

#3 Post by Nightcaste »

The kind of thing I'm talking about is when I researched one of the "Growth" techs, in the first or second tier of the tree, all my mineral production went kaput.

I will try and find exactly what I'm talking about.

Nightcaste
Space Krill

#4 Post by Nightcaste »

Something else that I have been running into a lot is that the game will CTD, and there will be a Runtime error window. Here is the text of the error:

1190584839 ERROR : ClientNetworkCore::ConnectToInternetServer : Call to NET2_TCPConnectTo() failed with server= "localhost"; SDL_net2 error: "NET2: can't open a socket"

gvia66
Space Krill

#5 Post by gvia66 »

When i play
population drow down ever is a paradise planet

please help

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

gvia66 wrote:When i play
population drow down ever is a paradise planet
I can't figure out what that's supposed to mean...

ghent96
Space Krill

#7 Post by ghent96 »

Crash Bug: when colonising, you cannot colonise a planet while your fleet with the colony ship is selected. The game crashes, predictably, every time.

Also, you cannot build mark 3 ships. Selecting them crashes the game.

The Silent One
Graphics

#8 Post by The Silent One »

Please, if you have not already done so, submit a bug report on sourceforge (you can access it from the main page). Which version of fo are you running, do you use XP/Vista or a Linux distribution?
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

ghent96
Space Krill

#9 Post by ghent96 »

...an outdated one, I now see, v0.2. Research wasn't even in that one. WinXP. I'll give the newer version a go, first.

ghent96
Space Krill

#10 Post by ghent96 »

Ok, played 0.3 awhile, couple games, the colonising crash is still in there, and I also came across the planet population bug and 0.0 mining bugs resultant from early research, as well as some research that's triggering a change in all planet specials galaxy-wide.

Didn't test to see if Mark III are still bugged & cause a crash when built.