we need a new lead for freeorion

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#16 Post by Aquitaine »

(and here I am, two months later!)

Part of the difficulty is that the definition of "lead" has sort of changed over time, as was inevitable. There is content-generation, project management, and game design. Geoff has been (by leaps and bounds) the primary do-er of the content-generation side of things (along with tzlaine and a couple others).

v0.4 necessitated some changes in the way the project was managed -- i.e. we couldn't just open up a thread, called it 'SPACE: HOW SHOULD IT GO' and then do a public review a week later and call it a day.

Part of my own distance from the project has been the unconscious feeling that, if I come and log in, I need to spend hours just re-acquainting myself with what we've already done. That isn't really true and I I'm making an effort to do a better job of things. The design is much more complicated than it used to be, but it's not really THAT much more complicated.
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

MikkoM
Space Dragon

#17 Post by MikkoM »

Aquitaine wrote:(and here I am, two months later!)

Part of my own distance from the project has been the unconscious feeling that, if I come and log in, I need to spend hours just re-acquainting myself with what we've already done. That isn't really true and I I'm making an effort to do a better job of things. The design is much more complicated than it used to be, but it's not really THAT much more complicated.
So does this mean that you are officially back or did you just drop by to say hello?

Redaxe
Space Floater

Re: we need a new lead for freeorion

#18 Post by Redaxe »

Hey guys

Just keen to know - How are you going with project management? I notice your still keeping some updates to 0.3 coming out which is awesome considering how long the project has been going for. Does that mean that things are running more smoothly now?

I wish I had the skills as a programmer or artist but I'm neither. I will download the latest version and give it a go to see how it fits together.

On a side note do you think it would make the forums more 'easier' to navigate if most of the old dead threads that aren't needed and go back to 2004-2006 were deleted. Cause there are so many threads on the foums it is kindof cluttering everything.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: we need a new lead for freeorion

#19 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Redaxe wrote:I notice your still keeping some updates to 0.3 coming out which is awesome considering how long the project has been going for. Does that mean that things are running more smoothly now?
New point releases have little to do with progress on the design side.
On a side note do you think it would make the forums more 'easier' to navigate if most of the old dead threads that aren't needed and go back to 2004-2006 were deleted. Cause there are so many threads on the foums it is kindof cluttering everything.
Not likely. Various old threads still contain useful discussion.

darkedone02
Space Krill

Re:

#20 Post by darkedone02 »

The Silent One wrote:I should've contacted you first and I do apologize I didn't do it. To justify my post, please consider that to a forum regulars it appears that nobody has actually been working on the combat design for some time, since there is no report on progress whatsoever. (And, what is the current status?)

People are leaving because of the inactivity and it's hard to recruit new people for a project that shows only marginal progress. I've been following the project from early on and I'm somewhat attached to it; I want it to stay alive.

- Does anyone have ideas how we could attract new members? How can we accelerate the development process?
Seem that other people have move on, and play other new games such as Bioshock, Halo 3, and other games out there that have been recently released. Recruiting new members to come and participate is hard to do cause our game is outdated. Just to make sure people can come back once again is another official release of the next master of orion game to be released.

I have noticed of the word that there is low (or very low) activity in this forum. I can see If people can come over here but prepare for some people who might spam the forums, or do some stupid humour they made up or stolen from 4chan.

This forum is called Facepunch Studios, and it's the official forum made by Garry Newman who developed the Half-Life 2 mod called Garry's Mod. It's a sandbox game that allows you to construct multiple objects in the game and use it to construct something. Now the forums are always active and might come here and develop something good or bad. they could spam the forums or talk about stupid crap that you all really don't need to hear, but besides that most people over there are supporters and develop some good ideas.

Bankas
Space Krill

Re:

#21 Post by Bankas »

I have some ideas:

- students usually have enough free time to do whatever they like, so why not to try to involve these into development? primary audience would be computer science faculties/departments of universities. Invite messages with project description and invitation for interested could be sent to department's offices - posted in official boards should attract more attention. Another way could be students work as theirs final works for the BSc or MSc degrees. This would involve groups/department officials - visualization/graphics/AI groups of research are the primary targets. At bigger level homeworks for some graphic involved courses could be settled in FO space - tight relations with course lecturers is a must.
The invitation letters could be sent to student organizations - organizations of computer science students I see the most promising way.
FO project members could spread information and set or provide infor for initial contacts within theirs country universities/faculties. The same could be done with online resource sites/magazines
For the starting point I could spread FO info in computer science faculties of two lithuanian universities (http://www.ktu.lt & http://www.vdu.lt), where I have connections

- gamedev forums as it was previously said by someone. I would expand this idea to broader area: forums related with MoO III and MoO I & II. At first glance MoO III seems the most promising. Russian forums are very promising in my humble opinion :)
The Silent One wrote: - Does anyone have ideas how we could attract new members? How can we accelerate the development process?