Adapting the VegaStrike engine for FreeOrion

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

SharkD
Space Krill

Adapting the VegaStrike engine for FreeOrion

#1 Post by SharkD »

I've been reading the roadmap in the wiki; and, according to it you're at the stage where you're developing a 3D engine for combat resolution. I was wondering what your thoughts were regarding adapting the VegaStrike engine for these purposes.

Conversely, VegaStrike is in need of a dynamic universe (sort of a behind-the-scenes RTS where the player is limited to a single viewpoint)--the main difference being that VS also requires a detailed economic model (which is lacking in FreeOrion).

I'm not very experienced with 'real' programming languages, so forgive me if this seems audacious.

Wolverine
Space Floater

#2 Post by Wolverine »

If you ever played VegaStrike you should know that it's almost unplayable, it's quite boring in fact and the engine is so badly written they're rewriting it using OGRE3D. And by the way. VegaStrike is vast in amount of space it occupies on HDD.
The emperor wants to control outer space. Yoda wants to control inner space. That's the fundamental difference between the good and the bad sides of the force... - Mof, Human Traffic ;)

ewh02b
Space Kraken

#3 Post by ewh02b »

ouch...that's gotta hurt. :lol:

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#4 Post by Aquitaine »

At this point we aren't really willing to consider using a 3rd party application, though I suppose if the right one came along and made us all go 'rooawr?' then we'd consider it. but it'd have to be that specific sound.
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

charlieg
Space Floater

#5 Post by charlieg »

I'm an admirer of the VS project, but using the VS engine to provide the 3D for FreeOrion would be like using a pneumatic drill to add the finishing touches to a piece of furniture. Not only is it complete overkill, the results would probably be worse for more effort than doing it yourselves.

I would, though, recommend looking at something like OGRE, Crystal Space, or Irrlicht which would handle the 3D "hard stuff" for you.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

charlieg wrote:I would, though, recommend looking at something like OGRE...
I believe that is tzlaine's plan.