Twenty-second game on the multiplayer slow game server

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Twenty-second game on the multiplayer slow game server

#136 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:24 pm
Oberlus wrote: Therefore, removing the policy and granting one RP per system in which you stop is a bad idea, since it punishes even more empires that for whatever reason can't explore early on.
I'm totally against such a solution.
i dont see the punishment here. Investing in a big exploration force early for reaping early RP is legit.
Agree with the investing part.
I was talking about the difference between scouting without investment to get early RP (you start with 2 or 3 scout ships, and if you don't need to adopt the policy, you can milk that from start with no investment at all) and not scouting because bad luck (monsters in choke points or after long starlanes that killed the scouts). Getting certain early techs one or two turns earlier can make some big differences later in game.
Scaling basic RP could be a solution.
Why looking for a solution to that when we can just keep the policy and not create the problem from the beginning? Just keep the policy and the investment it implies, and all is fine.

Ophiuchus wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:24 pm i strongly prefer keeping a commitment/cost (which can be tweaked more easily) - but i wont be able to do the backend changes any time soon, so if nobody else steps up this is more a next year thing.
+1

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#137 Post by Daybreak »

Another suggestion which is slightly different than what Ophiuchus is working on, changes the mechanics, but solves the problem of people not Exploring, but also gives them the chance of 1 RP, and promotes exploration.

Change the name of the Policy "Exploration" to "System Analysis"

Each system has a 'State' of either "Analysed" or "Not Analysed". Every system starts off with a "Not Analysed" State.

* If any empire stops at that system, and has the policy of System Analysis in place then they get the 1rp point, and the State for that system is changed to "Analysed"
* If any empire stops at that system, and they don't have the policy of System Analysis in place then the State for that system remains as "Not Analysed"

Now 2 options
a) The change to the State of that system to "Analysed" is only for that empire; OR
b) The change to the State of that system to "Analysed" is for all empires and no visit by any other empire will result in another 1 rp.

I like option b, as it promotes exploration, and actually competition to get to systems first if you have the policy "System Analysis", even denying rp to enemies who hve not explored.
I think option b alos means less code, and less memory problems, I think Ophiuchus mentioned.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#138 Post by Oberlus »

Daybreak, welcome to the current state of the discussion. Because that is what Ophiuchus tried to explain to you a few posts above.

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#139 Post by Daybreak »

Oberlus wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:38 pm Daybreak, welcome to the current state of the discussion. Because that is what Ophiuchus tried to explain to you a few posts above.
Oberlus - I already understood it, I did not really agree with the direction it was going, no did I participate in the conversation.
My suggestion is a variation on that

I was against you trying to say that waiting for the Exploration policy before exploring was unatural.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#140 Post by Oberlus »

Daybreak wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:07 pm My suggestion is a variation on that
Variation in that it doesn't accouint for current backend (i.e. less informed), but is the same in the end.

Daybreak wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:07 pm I was against you trying to say [...]
I hope you mean that you didn't agree with what I was saying, because you can have a really hard time getting to make me not say whatever I want.
Plus I didn't try to say anything, I just said it, without the "try".
Daybreak wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 9:07 pm [...] that waiting for the Exploration policy before exploring was unatural.
You misunderstood. Several times. What feels unnatural (what I say that feels unnatural) is that visiting/exploring something before a given event happened means you don't get some RP from exploring it later. Will be fixed anyways, using your "variation".

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#141 Post by Daybreak »

o01eg - for some reason I have never received a RSS feed of turns. I think BA experienced the same.

Would you please have a look at that. Thank you

BlueAward
Vacuum Dragon

#142 Post by BlueAward »

Daybreak wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:15 pm o01eg - for some reason I have never received a RSS feed of turns. I think BA experienced the same.

I mean I am looking at https://freeorion-test.dedyn.io/atoms/FO0022.xml but it seems to be at some unspecified delay

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#143 Post by Daybreak »

I changed mine over from 21 to 22, but must not have saved it, or something - anyway, now I don't know if I have a problem or not - as all messages came throough. Will keep an eye on whether I am experiencing delays as well.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#144 Post by Oberlus »

What was the turn max time? 48h?

o01eg
Programmer

#145 Post by o01eg »

Oberlus wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 12:56 pm What was the turn max time? 48h?
Yes.
Gentoo Linux x64, gcc-11.2, boost-1.78.0
Ubuntu Server 22.04 x64, gcc-12, boost-1.74.0
Welcome to the slow multiplayer game at freeorion-lt.dedyn.io.Version 2024-03-15.b3de094.
Donations're welcome:BTC:bc1q007qldm6eppqcukewtfkfcj0naut9njj7audnm

Ophiuchus
Programmer

#146 Post by Ophiuchus »

Sorry guys I am traveling and did not make FO preparations.
Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Look, ma... four combat bouts!

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#147 Post by Oberlus »

Ophiuchus wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:29 pm Sorry guys I am traveling and did not make FO preparations.
Hopefully not a problem at this state of game?

If you needed one of your allies to babysit your account for a few turns, would the other ally of you agree with the unwanted visibility from an enemy?

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#148 Post by Daybreak »

Oberlus wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:27 pm
Ophiuchus wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:29 pm Sorry guys I am traveling and did not make FO preparations.
Hopefully not a problem at this state of game?

If you needed one of your allies to babysit your account for a few turns, would the other ally of you agree with the unwanted visibility from an enemy?
No doubt the politics of this game is challenging lol. Location will play a big part.

Oberlus
Cosmic Dragon

#149 Post by Oberlus »

Long trip? Gah...

Daybreak
Vacuum Dragon

#150 Post by Daybreak »

BlueAward wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:21 pm
Daybreak wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 9:15 pm o01eg - for some reason I have never received a RSS feed of turns. I think BA experienced the same.

I mean I am looking at https://freeorion-test.dedyn.io/atoms/FO0022.xml but it seems to be at some unspecified delay
Yes for some reason te RSS feed is significantly delayed.